Rusty Sump cover & faulty switches

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Hi All, My horn was intermittent (!)...they have changed the switches both sides as apparently they've had a lot of bikes do this (no joke when you drive into London every day) and when they did it they pointed out the sump cover is rusty (I've only had the bike since end of September)...apparently the metal on some of the bikes reacts with the salt on the road...so they're replacing that....might be worth having a look underneath yours...

mine was replaced when the bike was brand new , without any rust.
theres quite a few posts if you search the forum.....
chinky white metal is the actual root cause.

At least ya spotted it :)

My sump is okay with 2 years of all year round use. I check it often.

But I've had left switch changed twice already, and its going in for 3rd after xmas. Dealer told me this week that they will change both switches because for the 2014 model they changed the design and it shouldn't be a problem for the future. Any S1 that has the problem should have both switches changed (BMW telling dealers to do this).

Mines gone I think too. Front right indicator doesn't work. Just the front right. Checked the bulb and it's fine. No BMW place is open now though so going to have to wait till the new year. Plus it's not under warranty either so going to cost me an arm and a leg!! ��

Mines gone I think too. Front right indicator doesn't work. Just the front right. Checked the bulb and it's fine. No BMW place is open now though so going to have to wait till the new year. Plus it's not under warranty either so going to cost me an arm and a leg!! ��

new left side switch is £150 + fitting. However mine is out of warranty and they are changing both switches in the new year for free because its a known fault, and the fact it's the 3rd time my has failed.

Which dealer are you going to? So I can say to mine that this one is doing it for free...

Its a BMW policy not a dealer thing, so the dealer you go to doesn't matter.

Hi there,
I know what you mean about the sump but it's not rust as the sump is aluminium and will corrode a bit if left untreated having picked up salt.
During my big winter clean I removed the belly pan to gain good access to the underside of the bike/sump and gave it a thorough clean.
As soon as it was dry I painted the small part of the sump with silver hammerite using a small brush being carefull not to panit sump plug!
This gives a good corrosion resistant hard shell to your sump and due to the finish it leaves it is a far easier to clean surface.(smooth and un pitted)
Happy days!

you are correct it isnt rust , it is the very poor metalurgical content of the casting , which renders it incredibly weak.
I am almost certain that my sump was overtightened by the operative , ( the bike was brand new , it couldnt have been corrosion) who probably didnt replace the rubber washer.

the metal is only designed for the plug to be screwed in once is my opinion :)

I heard somewhere that the casings were manufactured in China and the thickness of the casing was not thick enough so pulled the plug on them and had them made elsewhere!
Probably right about previous operative over tightening though - always pays to use a torque wrench on alloy.

Think my sump has gone. After my engine rebuild last summer (where I had a good look at the sump when it was on the bench, where there was no corrosion) it let go of all of it's oil at the weekend. Thankfully, I spotted it while riding through town, before it emptied, or I crashed on the coating on the rear tyre. Still to hear from the garage (BMW recovery took it away) but given how much came out, it can only really be at the sump plug, where I believe they fail as above.

Tell me about it... Lost all faith in it at the moment.

Which is where i was with the bike last year, I handed it back to BMW Finance and the expense of losing the guaranteed value at the end just to get shot of the thing. The shocking thing is they are now cracking on 5 years with this bike and its still not resolved, even the HP4 has these problems.

I've went back to the land of the rising sun for my kicks now, bought a new R1 at xmas :)

that's interesting, I had the horn fail on mine and paid the 150+ fitting in May last year, despite this being a fairly well documented problem on the forums, BMW wouldnt budge and i had to stump up the cost, I still have the old switch, and it looks like the circuitry breaks down when it gets too hot.

that's interesting, I had the horn fail on mine and paid the 150+ fitting in May last year, despite this being a fairly well documented problem on the forums, BMW wouldnt budge and i had to stump up the cost, I still have the old switch, and it looks like the circuitry breaks down when it gets too hot.

And the dealers name was.?......................................you should stop using the fuckers and get people on the forum to do the same.....

the dealer was BMW Park Lane, but i took the problem to BMW UK, theyve obviously had a change of heart .. do you know if they put out a recall notice, ao are they now fixing them adhoc??

Only had one sump replacement at 19k miles, currently on 25k.

Not one switch has replaced yet (fingers crossed), what are the failing symptoms if any, of a faulty switch or do they just, all of a sudden don't work?

Thought I had this as the whole dash wouldn't light up with the ignition switched on but have traced it back to a blown 4amp fuse.

watch out for the front edge of the sump aswell...

2014-02-09131855.jpg

2014-02-09131822.jpg

Latest posts

Back