hp4 rear preload/sag setup.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after nearly 3000 miles on the hp4 today I checked the preload. It's always felt fine to ride so I've never had the inclination to change it. So this was as it came from the dealer.

I weighed myself at 81kgs without kit on.

with helmet, suit, armour, boots on

Preload measurements:
front 7mm
rear 9mm

both within the recommended settings.

It does feel a little hard at the front at times so I will in due course give it another 2mm to see if that changes it.

Hope this is useful to any hp4 owners who haven't done this yet.

Did mine the other day and felt much better for it.....just need to drop the tyre pressures now and hopefully she will start to feel a bit more settled at decent lean angles.

So after nearly 3000 miles on the hp4 today I checked the preload. It's always felt fine to ride so I've never had the inclination to change it. So this was as it came from the dealer.

I weighed myself at 81kgs without kit on.

with helmet, suit, armour, boots on

Preload measurements:
front 7mm
rear 9mm

both within the recommended settings.

It does feel a little hard at the front at times so I will in due course give it another 2mm to see if that changes it.

Hope this is useful to any hp4 owners who haven't done this yet.
So, if my weight is say 50kg or 100kg am I still looking for 5-10 front and 8-12 rear?
if so, why dont they just say sag plus weight of rider is 5-10 front and 8-12 rear? Don't get the 85kg bit.......help...!,

So, if my weight is say 50kg or 100kg am I still looking for 5-10 front and 8-12 rear?
if so, why dont they just say sag plus weight of rider is 5-10 front and 8-12 rear? Don't get the 85kg bit.......help...!,

Very basically because there is rider sag and static sag.

With you sat on the bike the rider sag should be as per recommended settings/limits, whatever your weight.

Just got updated pages 50 and 51 from the manual emailed to me from my dealer showing revised measurements: 5-10mm Front, and -12mm Rear. This make more sense as the measurement is taken from the bike upright (under bike load, no rider load) and then with the rider sat on - feet off the ground (bike load with rider load). Adjusted Front yesterday to these measurements and made a massive difference, need a dry day now to do the same for the Rear.

Just got updated pages 50 and 51 from the manual emailed to me from my dealer showing revised measurements: 5-10mm Front, and -12mm Rear. This make more sense as the measurement is taken from the bike upright (under bike load, no rider load) and then with the rider sat on - feet off the ground (bike load with rider load). Adjusted Front yesterday to these measurements and made a massive difference, need a dry day now to do the same for the Rear.

Should read 8-12mm Rear

When you did your front adjustment did the turn motion create any 'clicks' or not? I started to adjust mine yesterday but it didn't click which is what I was expecting.

No, same here - the black nut just turns. I noted the position of the box spanner flat edge (from the tool kit) and made one full turn each time before re-measuring so at least I had some idea of how far I had gone. I started by winding it full in and full out to see what the max would be. I still need a bit more - being an FB (100kg!), but now I can see what I am doing I know what more adjusting can do.

No, same here - the black nut just turns. I noted the position of the box spanner flat edge (from the tool kit) and made one full turn each time before re-measuring so at least I had some idea of how far I had gone. I started by winding it full in and full out to see what the max would be. I still need a bit more - being an FB (100kg!), but now I can see what I am doing I know what more adjusting can do.

Ok thanks, thats reassuring not just me then. From memory turning it anti clockwise there wasn't far to go before it stopped so I presumed that adjustments were quite small to make a difference. Out of interest how much change to the preload mm did a full turn make (was that 360) for you? From your weight I imagine the bike was very, very hard on the front? Maybe contributing to the handlebar vibrations?

Ok thanks, thats reassuring not just me then. From memory turning it anti clockwise there wasn't far to go before it stopped so I presumed that adjustments were quite small to make a difference. Out of interest how much change to the preload mm did a full turn make (was that 360) for you? From your weight I imagine the bike was very, very hard on the front? Maybe contributing to the handlebar vibrations?

I doubt the change is linear, I got 10mm sag with 2 full clockwise turns from max, 15mm with 3.....so I need to back off to less than 2.
Strangely, for the rear 2 clockwise turns from max gave 21mm sag, 3 turns 20mm, 4 turns 18mm and 5 turns 16mm, so I need to go a bit more to get to between 8-12mm....which is the reverse from what I am doing on the front.
I have 16 turns available front and 9 rear.
I am going to wait until the weekend now and spend a day at it, it is a two person job unfortunately. From new the ride has been hard, And the two turns I did to the front only at the weekend made a big difference...........but the set up is, I am finding, more than a 5 minute job....!!

Thanks for the info. Amen to all the above, time and more pairs of hands needed!

I just downloaded the latest manual from the BMW site (marked as Aug 2013 onwards)
http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/de/se...iebsanleitungen/com/PDF/S_0D01_RM_0813_01.pdf

The only preload numbers I can see are 35-45 front and 25-35 rear based on a 85kg rider? Do the numbers above relate to something other than pre-load?

I just downloaded the latest manual from the BMW site (marked as Aug 2013 onwards)
http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/de/de/se...iebsanleitungen/com/PDF/S_0D01_RM_0813_01.pdf

The only preload numbers I can see are 35-45 front and 25-35 rear based on a 85kg rider? Do the numbers above relate to something other than pre-load?

These are the old (incorrect) numbers, if you see my previous posting you will see the new settings in the revised printed version that BMW sent me, much lower - and this time achievable!

when you are setting your sag front and rear are you putting it on paddock stands or are you standing the bike up and getting on and off the bike ?

Back