A little experiment... Highest miles with the least amount of issues??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2010, 14000mls road/track in 80% fair weather, 2left switchgear and manual camchain tensioner (my choice) no chain rust but then again its sorted every ride.

Bike from new, April 2011. 21k miles, ride in all weathers inc torrential rain, early morning winter frost. Have ridden in a blizzard before when getting home, obviously don't ride in snow or compacted snow.

The bike has been maintained/ serviced with BMW and had its front wheels bearings, exhaust from headers to cat replaced and a leaking rear shock, all replaced under warranty. Probably due to crappy city roads.

The bike is great, only things than has gone 'wrong' is front headlight bulb blowing a few times within a short period. Always carry a spare now as riding in the dark and not easily seen is no fun.

Nearly 5000 miles and no issues (2010) chain rusted a bit - however in its defence my bike currently is not in a heated garage. Easy way to get a bit of rust mate.

2012 4500 miles, gearbox issues fixed swiftly under warranty apart from that no problems. The bike is awesome and honestly nothing else compares. I don't use my qs as it creates problems and I think these boxes are flawed. Saying that I have had almost all the other 1 litre bikes and they all have had their own shit. I think the blades are awesome but they all drink loads of oil an that is the worst of all in my opinion.

ok where to begin...2010 bike 27,000 fun filled miles .....problems... headlight exploded, header valve failed, header servo failed, left hand switch gear failed, right hand switch gear failed, rear wheel bearings/spacers/sprocket bearing, sump , oh and it is in at the moment having the starter motor replaced.
do i still love it? fuck yeah! do i get the constant piss taken out of me cos I'm always breaking down? corse i do!

Last edited:
2011 7000ish miles, all weather inc snow. Chain rusting, Side stand recall, clutch spring, horn and indicator buttons stopped working, rear disc worn to below bmw recommended level after 4000 miles, fuel cap corrosion, Front caliper pistons damaged from "road dirt, grit and salt".

All was done under warranty and every time it was in I got either a 2011 or 2012 S1000 to ride.

2011 60000 miles, left hand switch gear failing and on order, rear suspension linkage premature wear on needle roller inserts, the bearings are cutting into the inserts, will do over the winter, chain is just s**t build quality and is due to be replaced shortly, is a bugger to get into neutral and get false neutrals mainly between 5th and 6th, have ordered a factory pro detent spring to try and allieviate the problem else the box will be coming apart, other than that love it

Rear tail piece of fairing wore and lifted a mil or so near the light - replaced under warranty.

Left switch gear went at the end of May just inside warranty - replaced today after a 5 week wait for the part from Germany.

BMW Customer Service compensation package agreed this morning. £142 Annual Service - paid, £100 Credit note at dealership to spend on whatever, 12 month extended waranty with Allianz - no excess and recovery worth £400 free of charge. BMW now have my 'goodwill' back.

Last edited:
I have owned my 2011 S1000RR since new, it has been well looked after and is garaged.
300miles left switch failed
4000miles right switch gear failed
5000miles petrol cap replaced
7000miles gearbox has issues and will need looked at before the warranty expires next month.

The plan is to hand the bike back to BMW at soonest possible oppertunity and go back to a Jap motorbike, i will wait till nearer the end of the year and see what the other manufacturers do but at the moment its looking likely to be a new ZX10R or a Fireblade.

pffffftttt 6000 miles is annual milage , i am determind to get 600000 out of mine , why the fuck not ?

5/6k a year is my average, has been lower last 2 years because of being a new father to 2 daughters. New bike every 3 years (ish) so luckily I tend to escape the problems that come with higher miles

pffffftttt 6000 miles is annual milage , i am determind to get 600000 out of mine , why the fuck not ?
I'm with you fat bob , wanna get mine to 35,000 by the end of the year, back to Germany & Switzerland next month not long back from the TT.
I bought it to ride it not to use it as an ornament!

Back