A little experiment... Highest miles with the least amount of issues??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRR

Reaction score
Right...

This is just little experiment, the are loads of horror stories floating round that our S1000rr's have the build quality of a cheap table from ikea and simply break! In all honesty, they have had their problems, mine included! Switch gear has been changed, chain is rusting and needs replacing and I'm yet to check the sump plug!! (2011 with 2500 miles and FSH)

But..

Who can claim the highest mileage with little or no issues?

Can these bikes be reliable? Please prove they can be but with honesty please guys. No prizes unfortunately, just a better rep for our bikes.

Cheers in advance.

Dan

Not 600 miles and a rusty chain, sidestand recall and a chip in the fork stanchion behind the mudguard being done under warranty on Monday.

I know it might be a silly question but even if the chain does rust after 1500 miles and its been well looked after I presume BMW haven't changed them under warranty ???

I thought that was the case however,BMW must know the chain rusts straight away! Done 1500 now on my HP4 and clean re lube the chain ever time I've been out but when I go back to it there's always a bit of rust showing!

Oem chain isn't so good visually

approachin 16000 miles from new in every weather road /track
Sump
Quick shifter
Back light cluster
Petrol cap

dan, please sort your life out.

whatever next? never leaving your house because you think its going to blow up!!

My personal thoughts on this (no offence intended)

1, its only a chain
2, its metal - if metal gets wet it will rust?
3, sounds like a cosmetic issue rather than something that isn't working?
4, the standard ones always look crap so why not just buy a decent gold jobby?
5, its still only a chain
6, 14-19k on a bike and grumbling about putting out £100 for a decent chain?

I swapped the original out straight away & I'm on my 2nd Regina chain now after the first lost its looks at 3000miles

Last edited:
Oem chain isn't so good visually

approachin 16000 miles from new in every weather road /track
Sump
Quick shifter
Back light cluster
Petrol cap

16000 miles with the main common issues happening and sorted, that doesn't sound too bad mate. Do you reckon it may be worth fitting a rental chain or something? Maybe they don't rust? But either way, for 16000 miles I'd call that 'fair' issues

My personal thoughts on this (no offence intended)

1, its only a chain
2, its metal - if metal gets wet it will rust?
3, sounds like a cosmetic issue rather than something that isn't working?
4, the standard ones always look crap so why not just buy a decent gold jobby?
5, its still only a chain
6, 14-19k on a bike and grumbling about putting out £100 for a decent chain?

I swapped the original out straight away & I'm on my 2nd Regina chain now after the first lost its looks at 3000miles

i have to agree with this, something I think il be doing. What did you go for?

dan, please sort your life out.

whatever next? never leaving your house because you think its going to blow up!!

No need for this at all, it's not for my be benefit an is a simple thread which many people are taking part in. If you don't like it mate don't join in.

Very nice, how many miles does the renthal last before you see rust or corrosion?

No problems with rust or discolouration the renthal sprocket but I changed it at 3500 miles just so the wear matched with the chain.

A new chain and sprockets are on my to do list on my 2012 model but I havnt decided wether to drop the front sprocket to a 16 tooth or leave as it is

No need for this at all, it's not for my be benefit an is a simple thread which many people are taking part in. If you don't like it mate don't join in.

Calm down fella think you are getting a bit above your station there

Back