Alternative oil?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamish

Reaction score
Magnatec/edge 5w 40?
Can anyone see any reason why this oil would have any detrimental effect? Power1 5w 40 is harder to get hold of in 5litre form and very expensive. I will stick to oem filter.

I may be wrong but I don't think the Edge and Magnatec are bike specific so they will contain friction inhibitors which will affect the wet clutch on a bike. You want the Power 1 Racing as well because the Power 1 is a semi synthetic. Silkolene or Motul.

Sounds right to me, but if you need to top up on a trip away what is compatible then as power1 racing may not be available, in fact I can almost guarantee it won't be.

If you read the manual then you can use either:
SAE 5W-40
or
SAE 10W-40

But I would use motorcycle specific.

That's my point the manual doesn't state motorcycle specific. I am fully aware what the manual says but the manual also doesn't mention to check your sprocket carrier after 600 miles! I will rephrase my question, what is so special about power1 racing over other 5w 40 synths?

That's my point the manual doesn't state motorcycle specific. I am fully aware what the manual says but the manual also doesn't mention to check your sprocket carrier after 600 miles! I will rephrase my question, what is so special about power1 racing over other 5w 40 synths?

Do you mean other 5W40 MOTORCYCLE synths or car 5W40 synths?
Why are you not considering using a 10W40 motorcycle oil?

OK, as stated above car oils contain friction modifiers to increase mpg figures. These friction modifiers will bugger the clutch. So using car oil is a big NO.
Also motorcycles shear the oil more than cars, so the oils has to be more shear resistant or it would go very thin very quickly.
Due to how the 'lines' are drawn as to put an oil on the SAE 30, 40 or 50 group means that some oils labelled SAE 30 and SAE 40 could actually be closer in terms of viscosity than 2 oils that are both labelled SAE40.
Basically an oil at the viscous end of SAE30 could be very similar to an oil at the least viscous end of SAE 40.
Much closer in fact than 2 oils that just fall into the SAE 40 category but are at opposite ends of the scale. (one could be almost SAE 30, the other could be almost SAE50).
The 'W" number is the viscosity cold and for oils with numbers of 5W or 10W it is measured at temps between -20C to -35C. I certainly wont be starting my bike at those temps so I do not believe they are as important.

As far as I am aware the only MOTORCYCLE specific 5W40 oils I can find are POWER1 racing and the one branded Halfords.
I do not believe for 1 minute that Halfords produce this oil.
What is special about POWER1 Racing 5W40? The only place I can find to buy is BMW main dealers in 1l bottles and therefore the charge what they like.

Sounds right to me, but if you need to top up on a trip away what is compatible then as power1 racing may not be available, in fact I can almost guarantee it won't be.

Mines used about 100ml over a whole year so you shouldn't need a top up but if you are worried tip 300ml in an old shampoo bottle and stick it under the seat.

Great response Godzilla, many thanks. My bike hasn't used much oil at all so far but I will prob be doing 3000 miles in Germany at the end of may so may need to buy some on site hence the question. My 2009 blade used oil like a two stroke so I got used to knowing what would work and what wouldn't ( but Hondas manual states semi synth and is far easier to find at back street vendors).
Thanks Union Jack, good call on the top up hint.

Halfords actually sell power1 racing, 4ltr can.... Not had to put any oil in mine over 3years, hmmm... wondered why it made so much noise lol As above, my fireblade used to drink it and was told thats normal....

Thanks Beamish.

Halfords actually sell power1 racing, 4ltr can.... Not had to put any oil in mine over 3years, hmmm... wondered why it made so much noise lol As above, my fireblade used to drink it and was told thats normal....

Isnt Halfords 10W40 rather than 5W40?

My last 929 Blade I never put a drop in it over 42k miles, always full and only changed every 4k at service. I done 4400 miles on the S1K and still not needed to top it up ?

Mines used about 100ml over a whole year so you shouldn't need a top up but if you are worried tip 300ml in an old shampoo bottle and stick it under the seat.

Remembering to take out all the shampoo first :p lol

Back