S1000 RR Sport - Motorsport Colours - Ready For The Track (almost!!)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Bike is almost ready for Cadwell on March 22nd - all i need to fit now are snow tyres!! (its so bound to be shite weather up there!!)
Ive literally only been around the block since buying the bike 3 weeks ago - so no jibes please chaps about the chicken strips on the Racetecs (they'll soon be gone provided its not humping with rain or snow at Cadders!)
Bike has been back to BMW for a service, only 2,000 miles on clock and it already had the following fitted when i bought it;
- Akro exhaust
- Full R&G protection

Ive then fitted the following;
- Solo Rear Seat Cowl (thanks Chris!)
- BMW HP Dark Screen
- Full Belly Pan
- Pazzo Racing Adjustable Levers (full length/black on black)
- Alpha Fast Action Throttle with Renthal Race Grips

I want to fit some engine/clutch casing covers - probably R&G or GB Racing, Renthal sprocket & AFAM chain, remove the tail tidy and indicators and then after Cadwell i want to get either a new set of Racetecs K1/K2 or maybe try some slicks when the weather gets warmer later in year.

Overall, looking forward to at some point being able to ring her neck and see what she can really do!!

IMG_2823.jpgIMG_2826.jpgIMG_2830.jpgIMG_2831.jpg

Looking good Hoops, it cant be worse than mine last month, they literally sent the gritter out first! Still had a good day though. If I had any advice with the BM on Cadwell its watch for false neutrals, bit unnerving, really be positive on the lever. You are a pro so its all easy peasy, i want to see both wheels off at the mountain :) (unlike my paltry effort)

Gritter!!!?? Thats absolutely bonkers fella!! I just really dont want to bin it on my first track day with the BMW - i know how hot headed i get when things get warmed up - just hope i can curb the enthusiasm!!
And i keep hearing about these "false neutrals" - not bloody great - does anyone know what the issue or cause is?? Is it something BMW are aware of and is there a fix?? Im hoping the quickshifter works well and does its job - but i will heed your advice about positive shifts.

Just bought some R&G engine/clutch etc casing protectors. Lets hope i wont need to make too much use of their protective qualities!!

If you use the quick shifter too near the red line the rev limiter upsets it and cocks the shift up. Also make sure your chain and clutch slack are spot on.

Thanks for the advice chaps - i guess i just need to get out and give it a go and see whats what - go hard or go home!!

Faulse neutrals a caused by a worn star selector shaft. It sticks and doesn't always retun the gear/star selector where it should after a gear change. Leaving it hanging in the balance between gears. BMW know about this and is now a service item. These worn parts are what causes the gear box issues etc.

My advise to you for Cadwell is to ride to the track conditions and don't try to be a hero. There isn't any prizes for smashing your bike up. It's gonna be cold. This means no track temp, no tyre temp etc. just go for a wobble round and bring it home in one piece

Faulse neutrals a caused by a worn star selector shaft. It sticks and doesn't always retun the gear/star selector where it should after a gear change. Leaving it hanging in the balance between gears. BMW know about this and is now a service item. These worn parts are what causes the gear box issues etc.

My advise to you for Cadwell is to ride to the track conditions and don't try to be a hero. There isn't any prizes for smashing your bike up. It's gonna be cold. This means no track temp, no tyre temp etc. just go for a wobble round and bring it home in one piece

Not strictly true Hop, some of us have had it from day 1...... More like a design fault me thinks.

If you had it from day 1, it going to be the Shif Assist. This in turn wears the star selector shaft. You can upgrade to a later shift assist from BMW that has a faster action. It's about £300

Iv been lucky (or unlucky) enough to see inside my broken S1000RR engine. The worn selector shaft does cause the faulse neutrals, however as Iv said it goes hand in hand with a poor shift system.

It's defiantly a design fault. If you want to avoid faulse neutrals from now on, I'd get the star selector shaft replaced and upgrade the shift assist.

Good advice Hopper, thanks.

As for the shift issue - would this not be covered under the warranty?

Bikes looking good there dude, bit of deja'vu when I see it! lol Cowl sets it off nicely too ;) lol

Back