Suspension headache

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watkins58

Reaction score
The Suspension on my 2022 S1000RR M Sport is really hard and chatters quite badly on uneven road surfaces. I have had a look at the spring preloads, and the front is all the way out (set by factory) and the loaded sag is 37mm, so there is no more option to soften the front. Just out of curiosity i wound the nut all the way in and then measured the laoded sag which was 34mm. So the fact that the front is wayh too hard and i can only adjust 3mm, wouild this suggest that there is an internal problem with my forks??

When you wound the front all the way hard the front end would have extended, the geometry of the bike would have changed and more weight would be to the rear when you are sitting on it, this might explain the small amount of mm change in sag.

I just checked my road settings versus track settings.

For the road I have 3 turns of preload on the front to achieve 40mm of static+rider sag. For the track I add a further 3 turns on the front (6 turns total) and that gives me roughly 34-36mm of static+rider sag.

hI,
i am 15 stone, so not a light weight, and it really is too hard. When i take the measurements at the front, and then sit on the bike, pre load adjuister all the way out (softest) loaded sag is 37mm i cannot soften it any more

And I?m 15st plus, can?t remember what I was when I set it up but I usually hover around 15st > 15 1/2 st without gear

yes mate ignition on, just phoned my local Motorrad dealer, to seek their advice. The technician suggesgted i ride the bike in rain mode, REALLY!!!!!!!!!

How much sag you wanting to achieve on the front? Like I said mine fully soft was too much for road settings, I needed 3 turns to achieve the recommended setting.

also what is your method for taking the measurements? Are you measuring the front fully extended with the wheel off the ground?

i just want to soften it up to stop the chatter, the owners manual states 42mm. the adjuster is fully out, so if i turn it in then thats just going to make it even harder. yes wheel of ground

Last edited:
It states 40 +-2mm so I?m theory 38-42mm is acceptable

I was getting more than 42mm with it fully soft and I weight between 15st and 15.5st, are you doing it geared up? I can?t remember if I had the leathers ok when doing it. I use a Motool Slacker which means I get accurate results and can do it myself.

3 turns of preload gave me 40mm of static+rider sag.

Also the technician is a full of crap, the settings don?t alter the sag, it alters the hydraulic settings. It may soften up the damping but that?s not the point, the sag should be a set once and forget unless your weight changes etc or if you were on track etc.

Also the technician is a full of crap, the settings don?t alter the sag, it alters the hydraulic settings. It may soften up the damping but that?s not the point, the sag should be a set once and forget unless your weight changes etc or if you were on track etc.

Wull, where did you buy the slacker from?

yes mate i know, thats why i want to set the sag correctly before any other adjustments, but the bike is not letting me, still think there is a fault with it

It was from Motool themselves, now I?m not 100% certain but I think they have a UK distribution warehouse so you don?t get hit with the usual import tax etc, whether it?s still the same as when I purchased mine I?m not sure.

Mate!!
can you please stop hijacking my question?
Its frustrating enough dealing with BMW technicains, there are other ways to ask a question without anoying any one else.
Thank you

Hope that?s not aimed at me when I?ve tried to help you out, if it is you?re an ungrateful git. In the future if you?re being arsey at least be more specific who it?s aimed at so you don?t annoy the wrong folk.

Back