Lithium battery maintenance advice needed

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macker

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My new gen 4 has a lithium battery fitted and the garage I bought it from suggested I keep the bike on trickle charge due to the tracker constantly feeds off the battery.
I thought you couldn?t trickle charge a lithium battery?
Im getting mixed information from my google search.
Could anyone shed some light? If I need a trickle charger, does anyone have any good suggestions which one to buy, preferably one that comes with a plug for easy charging.

Thanks in advance

Like above, never had any issues although as mentioned , make sure it?s suitable of charging a lithium battery as not all will. Also , I know it sounds daft but some of the more basic ones say lithium as well as standard but you physically have to tell the charger you are using a lithium battery via a push button or it will think it?s a standard battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lithium Battery

I?ve owned my track only Gen 4 (with OEM Lithium battery) for a couple of years now. To date I?ve never used a trickle charger and I?ve not had any issues at all.

what I have, does both types and inexpensive.
Genius1_FRONT_RENDER_5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Ive ordered a optimate lithium charger. It was for a good price so I?m happy enough.
Im not happy that it?s all due to having a tracker fitted, a tracker that did very little when it came to getting insured. I thought it would make a good dent on my quote........ nope
But atleast my battery will see the winter out ok with its trickle charge

The ?50 optimate I bought last year for my 2015 1299 states for 12.8V LITHIUM (LIFEP04) It looks like Optimate also sell a charger for around ?100, that has LITHIUM in large letters on it. BMW only recommend their own charger, make of that what you will.

My new gen 4 has a lithium battery fitted and the garage I bought it from suggested I keep the bike on trickle charge due to the tracker constantly feeds off the battery.
I thought you couldn?t trickle charge a lithium battery?
Im getting mixed information from my google search.
Could anyone shed some light? If I need a trickle charger, does anyone have any good suggestions which one to buy, preferably one that comes with a plug for easy charging.

Thanks in advance

Do you have the M lightweight battery, that is Lithium. In my Riders Manual it states the standard battery is an AGM.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.
Ive ordered a optimate lithium charger. It was for a good price so I?m happy enough.
Im not happy that it?s all due to having a tracker fitted, a tracker that did very little when it came to getting insured. I thought it would make a good dent on my quote........ nope
But atleast my battery will see the winter out ok with its trickle charge

My bike came with a tracker fittted from BMW, 2021 Gen 4. it caused nothing but issues, starting problems, random warnings on the dash etc. After running out of patience and the tracker telling me that my bike was in Ghana when it was sat on my driveway, i took the back of the bike apart and removed the tracker with its wiring. i've had zero issues since. I advise binning the tracker.

Back