S1000RR Sport 2020 Ownership - When is enough enough...?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobr

Reaction score
Hello All,
I ordered my S1000RR Sport with the performance pack back in June 2019 after spending a week at a soggy week at the IOM TT and needed some cheering up. This would be my first brand new bike and I was very excited.

At the time there were delays relating to the oil cooler and other engine issues which were well publicised. Eventually my delivery date was advised in early 2020 only for my allocated bike to be one a batch that were incorrectly manufactured without the performance pack. This lead to more delays until I finally collected the bike in March 2020 just before lockdown kicked it.

In April 2021 after just over a 1000miles it was recalled to have the cylinder head replaced. Good of BMW to address the issue they'd found but certainly not what I wanted on the first brand new bike I have ever purchased.

After the work I took the bike out for a ride only to get home and find the left hand side of the bike, my leg and my boot covered in oil. This was coming from an oilway plug on the side of the new cylinder head which it turned out had not been torqued after fitting and followed with another engine out recall to fix.

BMW did give me some money towards BMW accessories that was well received but still having that much invasive work and being without the bike for an extended time was not great.

After the yearly service this year it was recalled again to fit spacers between the BMW radiator and oil cover protectors.
The bike still has less than 5000 miles on it and this brings me to the latest issue... a worn cushdrive which has made on-off throttle, gearshifts and any use of the cruise control simply awful.

I initially reported the issue by phone to the dealer only to be told there was supposed to be some movement... I took the bike in the next day and a technician confirmed it was not right and raised a report to start a warranty claim. This was 10 days ago during which I had heard nothing. It also resulted in me cancelled a trip to north Yorkshire on the bike because I was not happy and feared causing long-term damage.

I took the bike back to the dealer this morning to ask if there had been any update or if there was anything they could do to make the bike more rideable. There was not until BMW responds to the warranty report. The dealer's workshop is booked up until August and they did offer to fast track my work once BMW, who are being slow, approve it. This still leaves me with a bike I'm not happy to ride with the summer and good weather quickly passing. I know I can order new cushdrive rubbers online but this is still a low mileage bike under warranty serviced every year on time at the main dealer where I purchased it.

The warranty will be up at next year and I'm seriously considering my options based on the issues to date and the latest dealer support. The decision is a hard one though because when the bike is working it's perfect for my needs and I do not know what I would replace it with.

So finally, is this experience typical of BMW ownership and if not, would it put you off keeping the bike?

It's back to the coverage of problems to the coverage of no problems? It happens with many of the manufacturers. It seems you've had the work done as per manufactures spec so wouldn't anticipate any more probs. Personally I would drop a line/phone BMW customer services voicing your displeasure (politely), wouldn't hurt..... Certainly wouldn't put me off keeping the bike

From what you have said it personally wouldn?t put me off keeping the bike if I was happy with it when running good and like said above, once these issues are ironed out then you shouldn?t be getting anymore issues.

As also mentioned above, if you are not happy with the service you have received from your dealer then you can contact BMW directly. My work van had some issues and I felt the dealer wasn?t doing the best to rectify my issues in a timely manner ( being reasonable ) I contacted the manufacturer directly which ended up with a courtesy vehicle dropped off at my home and the van taken away , repaired and brought back within a few days. Like yourself my vehicle had always been serviced and looked after by them which gives a stronger argument if any issues occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get the rubbers from the dealer and stick them in myself if I were you, pretty sure you could talk them into supplying them, easy job.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I got my bike around the same time and have had the same recalls you have had except the cush drives. Ok im kinda not happy in one way about major work but i'm also not bothered, engines nowadays are very highly tuned and very technical, if they get recalled then thats better than them simply failing down the road after warranty and you being stuck with a major bill. After my last service they kindly dropped my bike and damaged all of one side, they did provide me wit ha courtesy bike and fix it all within a week though.

With regards to the cush drive and if the bike isnt rideable then id go back the dealer and give them an option, id ask if they had the part in stock, if they did then id ask for some, then give them an option of fitting them asap, if they didnt then i would stand outside the dealer with a big sign stating your issues and what the response has been. I reckon they would then have a change of mind and all of a sudden be able to fit you in.

Ive also had a shed load of trouble with my 2020 msport,new head,coils,clutch mods,which didnt work,new clutch,that also didnt work,finally a new engine ,cos my oil pressure was to high,and the bloody forks,new ddc fitted didnt work,i was told there will a fix every month or so 30 months later still no sign of the uprated ddc,got in touch customer services,they gave 300 quid as a good will,but cant do anything,so ive sold the thing and bought a cbr-rr sp 2021,so if any ones intrested in some after market parts, ilimberger carbon fiber street full length belly pan,mra light tint screen,ligh tec rear sets (chinness copy) but really good,rg engine protection kit, gillis chain adjusters,akraprovic stubby end can,all in very good condition,if intrested pm for pics and prices

Thank you everyone for your responses - reassuring to know I'm no the only one and also giving some perspective on continued ownership. I'll contact BMW directly and see what response I get from them. A couple of other issues I've also had are being covered in coolant from the vent on top of the header bottle and the left switchgear/grip coming loose.
I did ask if they had the rubbers because I would've fitted them myself then and there but was told I couldn't if it is to be a warranty job... I'll let you know how I get on with the dealer and BMW this week. Also would be good to know if anyone else has the same cush drive issue as the technician said it was a problem BMW knew about...

Thank you everyone for your responses - reassuring to know I'm no the only one and also giving some perspective on continued ownership. I'll contact BMW directly and see what response I get from them. A couple of other issues I've also had are being covered in coolant from the vent on top of the header bottle and the left switchgear/grip coming loose.
I did ask if they had the rubbers because I would've fitted them myself then and there but was told I couldn't if it is to be a warranty job... I'll let you know how I get on with the dealer and BMW this week. Also would be good to know if anyone else has the same cush drive issue as the technician said it was a problem BMW knew about...

I have similar with the rubbers although maybe not as bad as yours and forgot to mention it at the service !

Out of interest what symptoms do you hear/ feel if the cush drive is worn? Particularly with cruise on? I get quite a bit of lash from closed throttle to open but I put this down to the play in the whole transmission with 16K miles on. With cruise it's fine.

Out of interest what symptoms do you hear/ feel if the cush drive is worn? Particularly with cruise on? I get quite a bit of lash from closed throttle to open but I put this down to the play in the whole transmission with 16K miles on. With cruise it's fine.

In my experience worn cush drives cause the snatchy on off throttle feeling you described.

When on paddock stands, when you gently start rotating the wheel, if there?s a lag between the wheel moving and the chain moving, it?s likely the Cush drives are worn

In my experience worn cush drives cause the snatchy on off throttle feeling you described.

When on paddock stands, when you gently start rotating the wheel, if there?s a lag between the wheel moving and the chain moving, it?s likely the Cush drives are worn

Best check!

Back