Want a Motorcycle transport , what to buy Trailer , Van or MPV ? what do you use

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am now seriously looking at motorcycle transport options for my RR other than renting a van for Trackdays,

Been looking at various options as follows , i am leaning towards the Phoenix & would prefer a decent Van only issue is when im not using it , its just gonna sit there taking up[ space in the close where I live FFS.

Motolug trailer New ?1250
Phoenix trailers single folding ?1100
Vans , Transit etc Prices for a semi decent van seem to start around around ?3500 upwards
MPVs , Chrysler Grand Voyager , Kia Sedona , Ford Galaxy ,Cheap ones from a grand up to 2k onwards

Would be interested to see what you guys are using , pictures welcome especially if you have managed to get a clean/neat solution for an MPV.

Also interested to see what experiences you guys are having with wide loading ramps for easy loading & off loading the bike.

once you start looking into this , nothing gets easy lol

:hopelessness:

A cheap van usually means ongoing costs for maintenance. Decent 2nd hand vans aren't cheap. The 2nd hand van I bought 3 years ago is worth more now than what I paid for it
A 2nd hand trailer is easy to store and low maintenance. Plus you have the comfort and economy of driving your car instead of some sh!t tip banger of a van
All you need is a decent ramp (I use a heavy duty that will take a HD) and some decent ratchet straps and handlebar tie down straps
Unless you have ?20k floating around in which case buy a MB Sprinter

I have a motolug, I covet a van. If you have somewhere to park a van, get a van, it's an asset, cheap one will hold value, it's useful for other things.

If you are constrained for space, the motolug is excellent. I drag it around in my e90 330i, main body on the back seat, cause the boot is a fraction too small. It tow's really well, very stable. Factor in the purchase and fitting of the towbar in your man maths too if you don't have one. I bought my motolug second hand from a gent on here...not sure I'd pay full price for one

Last edited:
used a motolug for years... easy loading, tows great and easy to store (i only ever took it half apart to store.. but fully apart you can fix in most boots with the seats down) ... mudguards were never great and always cracked and then needed cable tieing/bolting and then replacing

changed a pop top box trailer (benderup).. (which just fits in the garage).. trailer door is the ramp
added a little bit of shelving and a wheel chock ,it contain everything for a trackday .. no more loading and unloading the car/van
(tools, compressor, olax manual tyre changer, warmers, generator, compressor, spare wheels, paddock stands, jerry can, chair, table, gazebo, tent etc)
once the bike is unloaded can sleep in the box trailer

I?ve got a small box trailer 8x4ft mainly for lugging around a dirt bike but looking forward to using it for my first track day later this month.
If I could go back I would have bought a wider trailer to get more than 1 bike in.

Really handy just to be able to throw shit in and not worry about it getting wet or stollen if you are staying overnight somewhere.

0a07545fe227b574690b526576459964.jpg

21469aff95e65ebbc168b95a15f27478.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Mellor states, 3.5 grand probably won't buy you much, an ex local authority van or ex large corporation would be the best bet at that level as it will have been maintained properly, no doubt it'll come with Moon miles on the clock, a decent van with say 60/70k will still be the best part of 10 grand..2nd hand prices are wild.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I am trying to do more track days on mine, I was lucky enough that I could buy a new custom LWB crew cab, fits the family in and also the bike in the back, absolutely perfect for what I need. I did toy with getting a trailer but I had a pick up before this and the van ticks all the boxes for me and my needs

Van is more secure, with an open trailer I worry if I want to stop at motorway services and go in for pee/food.

Last edited:
Where are you based?

You are welcome to borrow my motolug to see how that works with your set up and use (Berkshire based now).
Its a single + extension to double for two bikes.

I've wanted a van previously. However having a tow bar on a Landy means that's always the designated towing vehicle. I won't put a tow bar on the Tesla now as a full tank of diesel when towing provides less range anxiety.

I?ve got a small box trailer 8x4ft mainly for lugging around a dirt bike but looking forward to using it for my first track day later this month.
If I could go back I would have bought a wider trailer to get more than 1 bike in.

Really handy just to be able to throw shit in and not worry about it getting wet or stollen if you are staying overnight somewhere.

0a07545fe227b574690b526576459964.jpg

21469aff95e65ebbc168b95a15f27478.jpg

Packing this sucker ready for knockhill.
Plenty of room in the 8x4ft box trailer for gear.

ab42959bc8415936cd59904e43a329c6.jpg

That's a handy wee sucker that, looks as though it can handle a fair bit of gear along with the bike.

How are those wheel bearings, dunno how many trailers I've seen with a collapsed bearing at the side of the road, granted their usually laden with a boat/yacht.

That's a handy wee sucker that, looks as though it can handle a fair bit of gear along with the bike.

How are those wheel bearings, dunno how many trailers I've seen with a collapsed bearing at the side of the road, granted their usually laden with a boat/yacht.

Haha yeah spot on Stuart ! I picked it up from Carlile last year and by the time I got back to Aberdeen the noises from the wheels were horrendous. I had to get it serviced the same day I bought it.

The Tyres/hubs and bearings seldom get looked at on these wee trailers.. [emoji106].. looks the business..

Back