Getting ready for 3 days at Jerez & Michelin Power GPs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vengeance

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am getting ready for 3 days on track with FE at Jerez in September , I am a novice trackday rider but experienced rider as ive been riding since 15 & now in my 50s. Done a few track days at Mallory park & Snetterton.

As a build up i will do the Jamie whitton track school 121 & a couple of UK track days in the novice group.

I did not really like the OEM Metzlers that came with my RR from new , Racetech RR K3s so i decided to buy a set of the new Michelin Power GPs.

I know tyres is a very personal choice but what a massive difference , the bike feels literally completely different in terms of feel & confidence/grip , much softer/sticky compound & i can 100% feel the difference (in know way am i comparing the K3s to the power GPs just highlighting what a missive positive difference this has made for me which makes me very happy.
Here are the Michelin recommended track tyre pressures from cold.

Minimum cold tyre pressure on track

• front 2.1 bar (30.5 psi)
  • rear 1.9 bar (27.5 psi)

I would appreciate some advice form experienced trackday riders & here is a small list of questions ,

• Is one set of Michelin Power GPs going to last the 3 days (remember i am not Marquez)
  • I am happy to buy another set of tyres in advance & take them with me (load them onto my stillage allowance)
  • I have never been a person that's videos anything , but this is a big event for me & been thinking about capturing the track footage on a GoPro , Please suggest a stem mount as this is where i would probably like to mount it.
  • I have front & rear paddock stands & will have a jerry can to buy fuel as i will fill it up after each day as I will have a hire car.
  • Will take a folding chair & power extension cord.

Any other tips or sensible advice welcome.

Cheers lads .

Last edited:
Hi Guys

I am getting ready for 3 days on track with FE at Jerez in September , I am a novice trackday rider but experienced rider as ive been riding since 15 & now in my 50s. Done a few track days at Mallory park & Snetterton.

As a build up i will do the Jamie whitton track school 121 & a couple of UK track days in the novice group.

I did not really like the OEM Metzlers that came with my RR from new , Racetech RR K3s so i decided to buy a set of the new Michelin Power GPs.

I know tyres is a very personal choice but what a massive difference , the bike feels literally completely different in terms of feel & confidence/grip , much softer/sticky compound & i can 100% feel the difference (in know way am i comparing the K3s to the power GPs just highlighting what a missive positive difference this has made for me which makes me very happy.
Here are the Michelin recommended track tyre pressures from cold.

Minimum cold tyre pressure on track

• front 2.1 bar (30.5 psi)
  • rear 1.9 bar (27.5 psi)

I would appreciate some advice form experienced trackday riders & here is a small list of questions ,

• Is one set of Michelin Power GPs going to last the 3 days (remember i am not Marquez)
  • I am happy to buy another set of tyres in advance & take them with me (load them onto my stillage allowance)
  • I have never been a person that's videos anything , but this is a big event for me & been thinking about capturing the track footage on a GoPro , Please suggest a stem mount as this is where i would probably like to mount it.
  • I have front & rear paddock stands & will have a jerry can to buy fuel as i will fill it up after each day as I will have a hire car.
  • Will take a folding chair & power extension cord.

Any other tips or sensible advice welcome.

Cheers lads .

Your new set of tyres will get you through....I'd probably consider taking slicks though. Going to the trouble of going to a euro it will be much more enjoyable on them i think.

Ram mounts are good. Goes into the Steering stem and gets good view of speedo etc so you can review speeds gears later etc. I have some videos on here if you want to see the angle.

Maybe some tyre warmers will be good if you have them, take spares and consumables too. Oil, chain lube, tools spares if the worst happens (clip ons & rearsets)

Also make sure you have enough meat on your brake pads. Give them a little service before you go. Id recommend changing to high temp brake fluid before you go.

1st time there,grab a instructor as soon as you can to give you a better idea of the track layout+lines.it's my favourite circuit,you'll love it

If you're going with road tyres then its certainly less faff...new ones are wonderfully confidence inspiring.

But as Shy says slicks and warmers will allow you to go out of pitlane and be onit immediately with a higher ultimate grip threshold.

Take with you the tools for every bolt, wheels and brakes. Service the brakes, I would recommend new track pads and LCF600 fluid. Clean and lube the chain before you go you cannot take consumables like spray cans on the stillage.

You need a brake lever guard (don't t fit it till you're there as it won't fit in the stillage in place)

Your best whipping off the mirrors rather than fold them in, pick up some blanks online..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thanks , yes i have booked day 2 with an star rider with FE for 121 track instruction/tuition , really want to make the most of it

yes , good advice , the Michelin GPs warm up very quickly & don't really need warmers , i probably take some anyway. My bike has 2 Motorrad M lever guards fitted already , ill have to look into this , that's news to me i did not think this would be any issue , so appreciate the heads up

yep got the BMW blanking kit , so mirrors will be off & tail piece/number plate all comes off. got this base covered but thanks anyway

Out of curiosity what pressures are you running on the road?

Because they are classed as 50/50 with regards to track and road tyre the rear pressures are a little higher.

Because it?s a recommended minimum cold pressure I?d start with 32f 30r and see how that goes, the you can adjust accordingly, or start with the 30.5f 27.5r and go from there, it won?t be far off.

Hi , Really good question , I was curious about the Michelin road pressures for the Power GPs , I looked on the Michelin tyre pressure guide & only track is listed/provided.

I aske d the fitters the same question & they had never seen a set of Power GPs so had no experience with them , I will check the pressure's the fitters put in them yesterday & post them for you , FYI the bike felt great almost immediately on the road so will stick with the pressure in them for now . appreciate the suggested track pressures you provided ,

I run the Power RS which the GP?s have replaced. I run 32f 30r on the roads and they work perfect for me. I ran my Rosso 3?s and S22?s with the same pressures.

Cheers lads .
You can't put a jerry can on the stillage. You'll hire one from FE for 10 euros for the 3 days. petrol station is only 5 minutes down the road.. you just need to pack a fuel jug (although plenty of people will have a jug you can borrow)

also on this event :tan: (5 riders and one other half in our little group.. first euro for 2 of the riders)

cut down list of what I stick on the stillage :
bike :unconscious:
bike blanket/padded cover
2 pin euro adapter for the power and extension lead (also a blue adaptor, but from memory Jerez only has two pin power)
tyre warmer
tyre pressure gauge
pump
tools for wheel removal (although I take more tools than this, chain tool, chain laser aligner, brake bleeding kit, battery charger etc etc)
Jerez isn't that hard on tyres so one fresh set might last you the 3 days. (I'll be fitting a new before I go and packing a spare rear on stillage just in case I need it.)
paddock stands
tyre warmers
leathers, gloves, boots, back protector, helmet, leggings and a couple of compression tops, non consumable ear plugs (not just for the track, but because my mate sometimes sounds like a train when asleep)
camping table (also contains little stools)
folding chair
large fan (and maybe a pack a smaller fan as a helmet dryer)
spare rear tyre
spare rear sets and levers (just because I have them)
heavy duty chain and padlock
fuel jug
some clothes, jogging bottoms, shorts and t-shirts, towel

With the large FE stillages I normally take my kit in a ogio kit bag... but if I'm going with any other tdo I stick my helmet in the belly of my leathers for protection and stick everything in a big cheap sports direct holdall
I'll tempted to take a tyre changer and compressor to Jerez, as think they will fit on a fe stillage

consumables too. Oil, chain lube

no consumables allowed with FE since they started doing carnets

Re: Getting ready for 3 days at Jerez & Michelin Power GPs

You can get the 5l jug on but nothing bigger and don't include it on the carnet form and keep it from view [emoji6]

Last edited:
You can't put a jerry can on the stillage. You'll hire one from FE for 10 euros for the 3 days. petrol station is only 5 minutes down the road.. you just need to pack a fuel jug (although plenty of people will have a jug you can borrow)

also on this event :tan: (5 riders and one other half in our little group.. first euro for 2 of the riders)

cut down list of what I stick on the stillage :
bike :unconscious:
bike blanket/padded cover
2 pin euro adapter for the power and extension lead (also a blue adaptor, but from memory Jerez only has two pin power)
tyre warmer
tyre pressure gauge
pump
tools for wheel removal (although I take more tools than this, chain tool, chain laser aligner, brake bleeding kit, battery charger etc etc)
Jerez isn't that hard on tyres so one fresh set might last you the 3 days. (I'll be fitting a new before I go and packing a spare rear on stillage just in case I need it.)
paddock stands
tyre warmers
leathers, gloves, boots, back protector, helmet, leggings and a couple of compression tops, non consumable ear plugs (not just for the track, but because my mate sometimes sounds like a train when asleep)
camping table (also contains little stools)
folding chair
large fan (and maybe a pack a smaller fan as a helmet dryer)
spare rear tyre
spare rear sets and levers (just because I have them)
heavy duty chain and padlock
fuel jug
some clothes, jogging bottoms, shorts and t-shirts, towel

With the large FE stillages I normally take my kit in a ogio kit bag... but if I'm going with any other tdo I stick my helmet in the belly of my leathers for protection and stick everything in a big cheap sports direct holdall
I'll tempted to take a tyre changer and compressor to Jerez, as think they will fit on a fe stillage

no consumables allowed with FE since they started doing carnets

Oooo thats annoying. Redine let me take oils sprays etc just last month.

Oooo thats annoying. Redine let me take oils sprays etc just last month.

i was surprised with the list of items not allowed.. (tbf I think most people just hides the items and takes them anyway)

FE communication :
All customers will be required to follow these new procedures:

1. ALL items must be clearly labelled with your name to enter the stillage.
  2. You will be given a stillage number out and return.
  3. A copy of your listed items should be placed on the outside of your stillage.
  4. NO CONSUMABLE items can be transported this includes oils, lubricants, cable ties ? see separate sheet.
  5. No personal clothing items are allowed onto the stillage, Sportswear ONLY. Please include any SIZES, COLOURS AND BRANDS on your ATA Carnet.
  6. All weight measurements listed on your ATA Carnet MUST be given in KG ONLY.

FE sheet
Prohibited Item ? ALL CONSUMABLES

All and any fluids
All and any lubricants
All and any oils
All and any sprays
Cable ties
Cleaners
Deodorants
Disposable gloves
Duct tape
Fuel cans