Chain tension

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Am I measuring chain tension correctly? Should it be any different for track?

Swingarm says 45-50mm distance between chain at top and bottom, measured halfway between sprockets. I do this on the side stand with tape measure.

So many people have seen chain when I'm at track and commented that it looks loose.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

May be relevant - most gear changes seem smooth, first to second can be a bit clunky.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm actually tabbing thru the handbook right at this minute, I notice smoother gear changes immediately when the chain is tensioned and lubricated correctly..there's a sweet spot for sure.
ca79d6b115f4ba02bf7af8373cc92621.jpg
391b8cec9a3fad51d61769eb7afddb4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Not sure if you have the same year as me i have a 2017, i cleaned my chain last weekend and thought it felt slack so measured prior to any adjustemt and was in the middle of the recommended tigntess on the swingarm, im sure it was the same deflection measurements as the picture the other guy posted. Considering it was in the middle im sure it would be really slack at 50mm.

Personally im going to try and keep it in the middle range of the adjustment.

Also just something ive noticed when looking at s1000's in general the chain adjuster screws seem really far out compared to other bikes, obviously its how there meant to be just seems unusual to other bikes.

If it?s between 45-50mm then it?s fine, always measure at the tightest point but that?s fine.

I initially thought the chain slack on the Gen 4 was quite a bit, I can?t remember what it was on the previous s1000rr?s but it?s the most out of all my other previous bikes, last two being GSXR and 1299s.

Next time someone says anything just tell them to fook aff!

Another thing I noticed with the Gen 4 manual is it states push up measurement only where you would usually take into account the downward movement as well, which is usually around 5mm, so to obtain the 45mm (bottom of the range) you?d want 40mm upward movement.

Mine is sitting around the 46-47mm mark at the moment measuring it the way the manual states that Stu has posted above.

I don't measure my chain, I just clean and adjust by eye when I've got it up on the ramp, guess I've done it that often it's second nature.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I?ve never measured the chain height. I?ve always gone with feel and have never had any problems. A check can also be, pull the chain at the back of the sprocket, maximum amount is 1/2 a tooth visible. Strange may it sound, you need to check at different intervals, of the chain. As there is a difference along the length of the chain. Also check for stiff links.

Back