Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's electrifying!

Riding
    HP 4, M Sport

Re: It's electrifying!

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Range and charging times will hamper my decision. I dont fancy waiting 20 to 30 minutes every 100 miles when im on a long tour and I guess searching for a charging point could be a pain out in the countryside.
    Don't forget the pissing rain Phil ! In a car at least you can fire on a movie or whatever.. not my idea of a good day out on the bikes..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Exactly, which is why commuting on electric is the best use of them at the moment. Same for the cars too.
    We have an A250e Merc. 35mile range as an EV. We barely use the petrol engine...

Riding
    2018 S1000RR Sport

35 miles??

Riding
    KTM Superduke GT

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    Don't forget the pissing rain Phil ! In a car at least you can fire on a movie or whatever.. not my idea of a good day out on the bikes..

Yeah forgot about that, you dont see many charging points under cover like fuel stations (yet)...

Are there many charging points in Scotland Stuart?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:

Riding
    HP 4, M Sport

How's it going Phil.. I don't think so, I've never paid any attention to the likes of that..one of my other clients who lives round the corner from me was telling me you really need to plan your journey and base it round charging, he was up North for a few days in his all electric Skoda.. cracking looking car BTW.. but it sounded a pure hassle if you wanted to wander into areas unknown..there's a protocol to follow when you arrive at a charging station.. as in just charge enough to get you to the next one if theres a queue and so on..the UI is helpful in that respect..but still !.. and if your somewhere with no juice available you've had it.. pretty sure it's supplied with a portable booster thing (something akin to a phone power bank, but obviously much bigger) you plug in to the car and it give you some miles to get you out the shit.. too embryonic for me just now.

Just googled it, its called an Enyaq.. Nice sporty looking wee thing I thought. Exact same as this one..

He wrecked a brand new tyre a couple of weeks ago and wanted the same one refitted, told me Michelin had developed special rubber for it and it cost 250 quid to replace... never looked to see what line it was but that's probably just Kwik Fit sales chat..and likely standard pilot sports thats on it..

So to answer yer question..not by the sounds of it lol..

It’s actually true about electric vehicles needing special tyres as they are so much heavier. I’m on holiday and BBC World News had a piece on it. Michelin are working with various manufacturers to develop the tyres. Electric cars are having more tyre failures due to weight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JamieMac For This Useful Post:

Riding
    HP 4, M Sport

Ahhh.. I was thinking maybe more compound than construction.. a higher load index makes perfect sense, could be a combination of the two mind you.

My van should have a load rating of 106, but I went for the Glam look with a nice set of 18s and had to settle on 103s which was the highest rating I could find.. its only 3 points but the weight capacity difference is huge.

Riding
    2017 S1000RR Grey

Volvo are saying it now takes 90000 miles for an EV to have the same ecological impact as a petrol equivalent (i.e. factoring in construction and mining). Maybe if we all just stopped making cars in such volumes fullstop we'd be better off
    Last edited by alex; 24th June 2022 at 06:38 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex For This Useful Post:

Riding
    KTM Superduke GT

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    Volvo are saying it now takes 90000 miles for an EV to have the same ecological impact as a petrol equivalent (i.e. factoring in construction and mining). Maybe if we all just stopped making cars in such volumes fullstop we'd be better off
    Banning Finance/PCP on vehicles would stop most sales dead.

Riding
    KTM Superduke GT

Quote Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
    How's it going Phil..
    Real good thanks Stuart.

Nice looking motor.