It's electrifying!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a lot of people out of jobs tho.. but I agree, there are far too many vehicles on the roads, I've seen an exponential increase in traffic where I live, there's been stacks of new build round here in the last 5-10 years, it's really obvious on Glasgow Road where my office is, my house is only 0.75 of a mile from my office and the volume of traffic using it now is unreal.. I put it down to the influx of out of towners. My street is a wee Cul De Sac..roughly 12 houses..every house has 3-4 cars as all the kids are grown up and driving..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Volvo are saying it now takes 90000 miles for an EV to have the same ecological impact as a petrol equivalent (i.e. factoring in construction and mining). Maybe if we all just stopped making cars in such volumes fullstop we'd be better off

I've seen the same thing. Volvo are the only manufacturer to release figures in detail, comparing electric to petrol/diesel on the same platform (think the figures I saw were for xc40).

I am dreading what it will be like in 15 or 20 years, as I live in a very remote area, and we are always the last to get any new infrastructure installed.

I'm not opposed to ev entirely, but I can only see the benefit in busy, urban areas, where localised pollution is a real problem.

I made a point of going for an amg 63 Merc last year, when we changed the sensible family Volvo for a GLC, purely because it could be the last chance to own a modern, large capacity, pointless gas guzzler!

I'll probably go for an electric bike, before a car though.

i'm not far off being fully electric,got an electric car on order,got it through salary sacrifice so was a no brainer tbh as i only do 6k miles a year anyway,and also have an electric trials bike,which is awesome,far easier (for a novice like me) to ride than a 2/4 stroke,and battery lasts longer than i'll ever need in a day

Electric is a bit like most things now awash with opinion with little fact.

Cars. I have 2 EVs in our household, plus an ICE fun car. The difference really with an EV is the fill up time required, the running costs, and the range, so it is a different mindset on how you use them. With our setup the wife does about 60-70 miles a day, plugs the car in when she gets home at night, car charges overnight (for less than ?2) and repeat. With my EV I do very few miles so every few days I have the night charge for my car, and her's plays catchup the following evening, or I put mine on charge if the solar is overproducing on a fine day. It really is very easy to live with (in our case) as long as you are not doing more than 100 miles every day all week, and your worst unplanned journey isn't beyond 50% of the range (say 45% to be safe). Not having to visit petrol stations is great, although I keep running out of mints in the car which the kids dont appreciate, and the cost per mile is pennies, over a month its a small fortune saved v petrol/diesel. If you are disorganised and dont plan your charging and trips it will be a problem at some point. I wouldn't entertain a road trip with one even with rapid chargers en route.

Bikes. The problem I see with motorbikes as eluded to in a previous post above is that for the vast majority of riders a 100-120 mile range or so is a bit rubbish for a 'ride out' if you can only get around 50% of that before turning back home, or finding an available charge point, plus the wait. Bigger battery = more weight, not necessarily a good thing on a bike. My experience with our two EV cars is that smaller/lighter is far better, my wife's EQA is much lighter, smaller battery, and has more range than my bigger battery EQC.

The comment about tyres blowing out and special tyres needed for EVs - any evidence of this? The EQC came shod with Michelin PS4s and no issues (the car weighs 2.5T), and not heard of anyone with issues either.

The real big winner with EVs at the moment is the company car BIK allowance. When you take into account the tax you would pay to net the income to pay the lease, the extra corporation tax, and the lack of road tax, it's a no brainer as a business owner/employee to get into an EV if it meets your needs.

But yes, they are a bit dull and soul-less compared to an ICE engine, but great fun when you plant the right foot hard down, a milk float on steroids!

I would like an electric motorbike at some point, maybe when the tech is a little better. New lighter/capacity battery tech is coming, and hydrogen will also play its part. The future is certainly more interesting than yet another ICE engine with a few more horses to keep sales ticking along.

Last edited:
The real big winner with EVs at the moment is the company car BIK allowance. When you take into account the tax you would pay to net the income to pay the lease, the extra corporation tax, and the lack of road tax, it's a no brainer as a business owner/employee to get into an EV if it meets your needs.

this is the exact reason i've gone for 1,plumbed for an ev6 which on paper+reviews + looks was my best option (although the delivery date keeps getting put back which is a bit annoying).but by the time i factor in my tax releif etc,i'm only paying about 60% of what it should cost,plus i dont pay for electricity as such so is an even bigger incentive for me ;).

will be sad to see the f-pace go,it's a really nice car, but 4 yrs old now,time to move it on whilst used prices are so strong and the deals on EV's are so good with the salary sacrifice scheme

i'm not far off being fully electric,got an electric car on order,got it through salary sacrifice so was a no brainer tbh as i only do 6k miles a year anyway,and also have an electric trials bike,which is awesome,far easier (for a novice like me) to ride than a 2/4 stroke,and battery lasts longer than i'll ever need in a day

Same mate , leased a peugout e-2008 through work salary sacrifice , leased a PHEV kia niro before that for 3 years , the PHEV had 36 mile range , that was my taster for going all electric with the pug.
Also have a cube e-bike for commuting to work , freewheel all the way there and battery power home :welcoming:

Interesting and yet a very emotive subject.....EV for the masses is light years away IMHO....just look at the Ioniq 5 and GV60 whilst they are pushing the EV platform they are riddled with software and quality issues...the GV60 base model is ?60 K...as too bikes Triumph had the TE1 project in flight, a great looking bike with comparable performance too but have dumped the project as its too prohibitive at circa ?28k ...do Enegica know something Triumph don't know...EV at the moment is for the early adopters but Im sure technology will gather pace and battery life will improve enormously...we just need someone to come up with one that uses a flux capacitor lol

i wouldnt say light years,10 as your not going to have much choice after that tbh ;) .the pace they are moving on in the last 5 yrs or so is akin to all "tech".i'd say main thing hold back now is component availability.those GV60's look awesome (didn't know thay was available in UK now?),same paltform as the ionoc5+kia ev6."Riddled" might be a bit harsh but yes do have a few glitches but not enough to stop me going ahead.like i said, for me it's a no brainer with the tax break,and i rarley do more than 100 mile trip so the charging side (which i'd say is 90% of peoples concerns) wouldn't be an issue.saying that,i diont have it yet,so who knows, i might come back here and warn everyone about the pitfalls :)

theres a good video on youtube of a guy that just did john o'groats to lands end in a tesla to show how practical they are.

Back