It's electrifying!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, finally got round to test-riding an electric bike. Wanted to try the Energica Ego+ but they didn't have one available so took out the Eva Ribelle instead.

Oh my.

Fast, smooth, fast, easy to ride, fast, comfortable, fast, vibe-free and fairly fast :highly_amused:

It was only a short run (about 10 miles - it was a demo rather than full test) but I felt far more at ease than I thought I would. Little bit of left hand and foot flapping when slowing down (looking for non-existent clutch and gear lever) but otherwise identical to normal. If you're used to using a QS there is very little difference and the Energica ride makes you realise that gears can be a distraction. Had the engine braking/regeneration set to V-twin which suits me (have had more twins than 4s). Not massively intrusive but meant I didn't test the brakes much.

It was a wet day so didn't go bonkers but overtaking could easily see you hit 120mph without thinking (allegedly) and it cornered very smoothly.

Comfort-wise, I have never thought about how much the engine affects the ergonomics but I rode comfortably to the shop on my Tuono V4 and felt every bloody vibration on the way back! There is a sound, it's only silent as you pull away then you hear the gearing noise but it doesn't whine (unlike say, a VFR) and you hear mostly wind noise so I can imagine it being a lot less tiring over the course of a few hours.

I had the RS version (0-60 in 2.6 secs rather than 2.8 secs for the standard model :eek-new: ) with the taller screen and that made a lot of difference to wind protection. Pretty much the same as the Tuono with OEM tall screen.

We're off to France in a few weeks and will be looking at charging points availability to see whether this is going to be our next touring bike (my wife took one out too and loved it!) or whether it will be the commuter.

Range and charging times are good (20-30 minutes to 80%, range upwards of 120 miles real world) and getting better. They even make a touring model now! Definitely worth a good long look at :distant:

It?s coming, I know it is but I?m just not ready to change! It?s the same with my van and car, not ready to change over to electric. Personally for me it?s the sound of the bike! I?m in no way denying these electric bikes will be super fast but for the time being I?m staying combustion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the leccy subject

I was in a Tesla for the first time the other day, its hard to wrap your head round the fact that there are NO controls anywhere, no knobs, buttons, sliders..NOTHING, I think theres an indicator stalk..just a huge screen that operates everything. The UI is super intelligent too, got a chance to play around with it for a couple of minutes, must say I was impressed. That sentry system is amazing and the quality of the onboard cameras has to be seen to be believed, as good a picture as my Hi Def TV

The owner is a good client of mine, she's got a few quid and always buys top of the line Audis, she hated the Tesla for about 2 weeks now would never go back to a "normal' car..the sound system was phenomenal too, she took me out a wee spin and it was smooth, silent and very quick off the mark..

I'm not ready either to make the move, but no doubt will some day..

My neighbour David just picked up a lovely RS3..

Just think lads this and bikes will be a distant memory one day..lol..

Could you really do without this in your life !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LQ3URnjq9vmM6iVd6

And those are Golf shoes I've got on for the Eagle eyed among you !

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
On the leccy subject

I was in a Tesla for the first time the other day, its hard to wrap your head round the fact that there are NO controls anywhere, no knobs, buttons, sliders..NOTHING, I think theres an indicator stalk..just a huge screen that operates everything. The UI is super intelligent too, got a chance to play around with it for a couple of minutes, must say I was impressed. That sentry system is amazing and the quality of the onboard cameras has to be seen to be believed, as good a picture as my Hi Def TV

The owner is a good client of mine, she's got a few quid and always buys top of the line Audis, she hated the Tesla for about 2 weeks now would never go back to a "normal' car..the sound system was phenomenal too, she took me out a wee spin and it was smooth, silent and very quick off the mark..

I'm not ready either to make the move, but no doubt will some day..

My neighbour David just picked up a lovely RS3..

Just think lads this and bikes will be a distant memory one day..lol..

Could you really do without this in your life !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LQ3URnjq9vmM6iVd6

And those are Golf shoes I've got on for the Eagle eyed among you !

I?ve heard some guys put those exact sounds through their external Tesla speakers lol . Which I think are in the process of being band? Although not sure UK Tesla have this function as never been in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just think, need never fail another noise test at a track day or have to schlep your spare can with you 'just in case' :highly_amused:

Seriously though, I've got a full Arrow system on the BMW and the Tuono is not quiet but this is a totally different experience. I said 'never' to electric bikes in the same voice I said I'd never get a Kindle 'cos I'd miss holding a real book. Oh, and that I'd never get a top box :rolleyes:

I'd happliy get an electric run around. But keep a sythetic fueled ICE bike for the track.

I do think electric motorbikes will be a harder challenge to get right than cars...because in cars the weight really doesn't matter.

Range and charging times will hamper my decision. I dont fancy waiting 20 to 30 minutes every 100 miles when im on a long tour and I guess searching for a charging point could be a pain out in the countryside.

Range and charging times will hamper my decision. I dont fancy waiting 20 to 30 minutes every 100 miles when im on a long tour and I guess searching for a charging point could be a pain out in the countryside.
Don't forget the pissing rain Phil ! In a car at least you can fire on a movie or whatever.. not my idea of a good day out on the bikes..

Exactly, which is why commuting on electric is the best use of them at the moment. Same for the cars too.
We have an A250e Merc. 35mile range as an EV. We barely use the petrol engine...

Don't forget the pissing rain Phil ! In a car at least you can fire on a movie or whatever.. not my idea of a good day out on the bikes..

Yeah forgot about that, you dont see many charging points under cover like fuel stations (yet)...

Are there many charging points in Scotland Stuart?

How's it going Phil.. I don't think so, I've never paid any attention to the likes of that..one of my other clients who lives round the corner from me was telling me you really need to plan your journey and base it round charging, he was up North for a few days in his all electric Skoda.. cracking looking car BTW.. but it sounded a pure hassle if you wanted to wander into areas unknown..there's a protocol to follow when you arrive at a charging station.. as in just charge enough to get you to the next one if theres a queue and so on..the UI is helpful in that respect..but still !.. and if your somewhere with no juice available you've had it.. pretty sure it's supplied with a portable booster thing (something akin to a phone power bank, but obviously much bigger) you plug in to the car and it give you some miles to get you out the shit.. too embryonic for me just now.

Just googled it, its called an Enyaq.. Nice sporty looking wee thing I thought. Exact same as this one..

He wrecked a brand new tyre a couple of weeks ago and wanted the same one refitted, told me Michelin had developed special rubber for it and it cost 250 quid to replace... never looked to see what line it was but that's probably just Kwik Fit sales chat..and likely standard pilot sports thats on it.. [emoji3]

So to answer yer question..not by the sounds of it lol..
9a10b77399b83529979172a5d13cd554.jpg

It?s actually true about electric vehicles needing special tyres as they are so much heavier. I?m on holiday and BBC World News had a piece on it. Michelin are working with various manufacturers to develop the tyres. Electric cars are having more tyre failures due to weight.

Ahhh.. I was thinking maybe more compound than construction.. a higher load index makes perfect sense, could be a combination of the two mind you.

My van should have a load rating of 106, but I went for the Glam look with a nice set of 18s and had to settle on 103s which was the highest rating I could find.. its only 3 points but the weight capacity difference is huge.

Volvo are saying it now takes 90000 miles for an EV to have the same ecological impact as a petrol equivalent (i.e. factoring in construction and mining). Maybe if we all just stopped making cars in such volumes fullstop we'd be better off

Last edited:
Volvo are saying it now takes 90000 miles for an EV to have the same ecological impact as a petrol equivalent (i.e. factoring in construction and mining). Maybe if we all just stopped making cars in such volumes fullstop we'd be better off

Banning Finance/PCP on vehicles would stop most sales dead.

Back