Silverstone June 2022

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellorp23

Reaction score
I decided to take the Gen3 to Silverstone to let it stretch it's legs. Lets face it a race track is the only place you can attempt to explore more than a fraction of the potential a S1000RR (or anything else over 600cc) has
As it's a road bike with S22's I was placed in the middle group. Having used the old HP4 in the fast group (again on road tyres) my riding ability was a little too underwhelming to play with the big boys. So middle school it was.
The bike as you would expect performed impeccably. The tyres were rather limiting. They were up to temperature within a lap, the front giving good confidence but the rear was not giving me good feedback. That was a real shame as I could confidently brake late into the faster turns but had to keep the brakes on to get the speed down then wait just that bit longer than I wanted to before getting back on the power.
1st sessions were in wet conditions which made for an empty track and a lot of caution on my part. Even so the S22's handled the conditions well with no strange antics. The front was so good I was braking no earlier than those riding on full wets. I even passed a few on the brakes !!!. Cornering was a different matter. But that's old age and self preservation. I even had the heated grips on for 2 sessions.
On day 2 there were a couple of BMW's in my group which were quicker than me. I think there was an HP4 on slicks, a Gen3 like mine and a Gen4 on road tyres. Not sure as I didn't look too close. I saw a couple of other BMW's. There was a big gaggle of them in the lower group. The middle group is invariably made up of TD hero's with more ambition than talent (usual crashes and daft over takes), some fast (and slow) old stagers and some people that are just in the wrong group, so I can understand people choosing other groups.
Fuel consumption was around 25mpg which meant a hefty fuel bill for the 12 sessions and 250 ish miles.
However an enjoyable 2 days.
Silverstone is a track day like no other. Some may think a little too expensive but in my opinion great VFM. The organisation and facilities makes NL and MSV TD's seem amateurish. The instructors on factory supplied Ducati V4's are proper instructors not racers making a few bob on the side on their beat up R6. Riding the GP circuit you realise just how pathetic your riding skills are and what a piece of engineering the S1000RR is. If you only ever do 1 track day I'd recommend Silverstone. It's brilliant
A few pics from the garages on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156864217@N06/albums/72177720299626286

Back