Brake master cylinder replacement

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I have a standard Gen 3 for track use. No upgrades as yet but wondering whether to replace the brake master cylinder with the Brembo RCS.
Anyone got experience of these?
Calipers are standard, fluid higher spec, pads are sbs dual carbon pads.
Wondering if the cylinder will make a big difference. I'm looking for more immediate bite rather than the slightly spongy feel I have at the moment.
Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

I have a standard Gen 3 for track use. No upgrades as yet but wondering whether to replace the brake master cylinder with the Brembo RCS.
Anyone got experience of these?
Calipers are standard, fluid higher spec, pads are sbs dual carbon pads.
Wondering if the cylinder will make a big difference. I'm looking for more immediate bite rather than the slightly spongy feel I have at the moment.
Thanks guys

I have a Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder fitted on my Gen 4 track bike and the feel at the lever is pretty good. It?s a worthwhile investment especially if you shop around as you can find them quite cheap given that there is a newer Corsa Corta version available. I got mine from RRPS for ?215.

Re: Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

I have a Brembo RCS 19 master cylinder fitted on my Gen 4 track bike and the feel at the lever is pretty good. It?s a worthwhile investment especially if you shop around as you can find them quite cheap given that there is a newer Corsa Corta version available. I got mine from RRPS for ?215.
Maybe the stock cylinder on the Gen 3 is different, not sure, BUT did you have to adapt hoses or reservoir etc when you fitted the RCS or did everything just line up?

Last edited:

Where did you get your RCS 19 from for that price?

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement

To be fair the Gen 3 and 4 OEM master cylinders are plenty good enough for trackday and race use. You only need to look at the lap times in STK to see that. For me it was a worthwhile purchase as feel at the lever is more direct and much improved.

To be fair the Gen 3 and 4 OEM master cylinders are plenty good enough for trackday and race use. You only need to look at the lap times in STK to see that. For me it was a worthwhile purchase as feel at the lever is more direct and much improved.
Yes that's what I'm looking for, a more direct and immediate feel

I popped a RCS 19 Corsa Corta on my Gen 3 a few weeks ago. Super impressed with it. More feel and more power/less effort at the lever definitely.

Easy fit. Had to reuse the banjo bolt from the OEM master cylinder as the supplied one is a two hole jobbie but all easy. I got a new reservoir and bracket as I needed more clearance on my bike as I have some adjustable riser clip ons. This meant I didn?t have to worry about the change in size of the feed tubing.

I popped a RCS 19 Corsa Corta on my Gen 3 a few weeks ago. Super impressed with it. More feel and more power/less effort at the lever definitely.

Easy fit. Had to reuse the banjo bolt from the OEM master cylinder as the supplied one is a two hole jobbie but all easy. I got a new reservoir and bracket as I needed more clearance on my bike as I have some adjustable riser clip ons. This meant I didn?t have to worry about the change in size of the feed tubing.
I've just bought the RCS 19 and will be fitting that on my Gen 3 later this week.
Was it an easy install?
Presumably you leave fluid in lines and Calipers, with new fluid in reservoir just keep bleeding from master cylinder? Do you also need to bleed from both Calipers?

From memory, this is what I did.

Put a towel and some rags down so you don?t get brake fluid everywhere.

Because I had only very recently replaced the brake fluid, I popped one calliper off the disk and pulled the brake lever a little to bring the pads in a bit (but still leaving some room to be able to spread them apart later with a screwdriver or wedge. This will be come clear why later.

I drained the fluid out of the reservoir (either a syringe or a hand brake bleeder pump),

Disconnected the reservoir from the OEM master cylinder

Undid the banjo bolt (the one the brake line comes out of under the MC) and taped the brake line up so it didn?t start dripping.

Then swapped over the master cylinders on the bars.

Then using the OEM banjo bolt but new washers that were supplied with new master cylinder, fit the brake line to the new MC.

Then install reservoir (I had new one with new link hose if correct size).

Fill reservoir with fluid.

Open MC bleed valve (after attaching some tubing to a waste container) and then pulled lever to initially bleed MC.

Then I went back to the calliper and spread the pads back out which pushed fluid back up the system to flush out the couple of air bubbles that were at the top of the brake line and banjo.

Another quick bleed at the MC top and all good!

No need to do a full bleed or flush.

Having said all of that, if you haven?t replaced your brake fluid for a while, just bypass all the stuff with the calliper and do a full flush and fluid replacement.

From memory, this is what I did.

Put a towel and some rags down so you don?t get brake fluid everywhere.

Because I had only very recently replaced the brake fluid, I popped one calliper off the disk and pulled the brake lever a little to bring the pads in a bit (but still leaving some room to be able to spread them apart later with a screwdriver or wedge. This will be come clear why later.

I drained the fluid out of the reservoir (either a syringe or a hand brake bleeder pump),

Disconnected the reservoir from the OEM master cylinder

Undid the banjo bolt (the one the brake line comes out of under the MC) and taped the brake line up so it didn?t start dripping.

Then swapped over the master cylinders on the bars.

Then using the OEM banjo bolt but new washers that were supplied with new master cylinder, fit the brake line to the new MC.

Then install reservoir (I had new one with new link hose if correct size).

Fill reservoir with fluid.

Open MC bleed valve (after attaching some tubing to a waste container) and then pulled lever to initially bleed MC.

Then I went back to the calliper and spread the pads back out which pushed fluid back up the system to flush out the couple of air bubbles that were at the top of the brake line and banjo.

Another quick bleed at the MC top and all good!

No need to do a full bleed or flush.

Having said all of that, if you haven?t replaced your brake fluid for a while, just bypass all the stuff with the calliper and do a full flush and fluid replacement.
That's brilliant mate, thanks. Really appreciated.
Have you been on track trying out the new MS?

Yep, done Bedford, Donington, and Silverstone with it. It is great. Proper noticeable drop in braking pressure required. Really good modulation. Brilliant upgrade.

I believe the only difference between the Corsa Corta and normal version is the bite engagement adjustment option.

Back