Race 1,2,3 - What suspension settings you running ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmonkey

Reaction score
I'm off to Portamio next week and wanted some ideas for a base set up for suspension. I'm 80kg without riding gear and ride bottom of the fast group. Just looking for a share really to get me started !

Suspension

Set front and rear preload and go from there. There is very little point in using other people?s settings especially on track.

There will normally be some sort of suspension person at track. Check with your TDO.

Tyre wear will probably give you good idea too of whether your setup is working well

Suspension help on a Euro trip is usually pretty sparse. You're largely on your own so I think it's understandable to ask here.
At 80kg you probably don't want any preload in the front.
Start with your settings in the middle and then adjust from there (as in zero). I expect that to be a little soft but whilst you're getting upto speed on the track that's no bad thing.

I went with redline recently and they organised someone to help on suspension setup....although defo check with whoever is organising the event.

Hopefully be similar

You?ll require whatever preload is necessary to achieve the sag that is recommended for track.

For the road I?m 3 turns of preload in the front and 6 for track settings, I weigh a good bit more than 80kgs.

For the rear road settings were no preload and 12 turns to achieve what was recommend for track.

You can try the bouncing trick to get close to the rebound settings but bear in mind this is better done when the oil is hot, you need to get your tyre pressures good, no point farting about with suspension and having pressures way off.

I am 80KG without gear. When i had mine setup the pre-load was wound off both front and rear (Perry at HM racing set it up). If i recall the stock settings on the RR are all set at 7-7-7. Go from there to see how you get on, but as everyone has pretty much said the pre-load is the first place to start.

I recently had mine looked at by 100% suspension at Snet.
He said dont get to hung up on static sag and as it happens it was spot on out the box. He only did 1 or 2 clicks from where it was set.

Edit,, not out the box but from how id had a play myself.

Last edited:
Thanks for peoples replies, just to say I played around a bit in Portamio and used the Race mode for a while, only challenge for me was the TC was just way too intrusive and you can't adjust it on the bar button.

I ended up setting race pro 2 mode up with 6, 6, 6 as the suspension as a starter and never felt the need to change it ! TC -2 on the bar button and 1 in the main settings.

And that?s the purpose of race 1 2 and 3. You could set the others to have more or less TC and then when in those modes you can then fine tune them more with the + or -

Yes that's what I did to take it to -2, what I meant was if you use the BMW modes, rain, road, dynamic race (I think) and use the race one, it won't let you adjust the TC on the handlebar rocker switch. So I went to Race Pro Mode instead.

Yes that's what I did to take it to -2, what I meant was if you use the BMW modes, rain, road, dynamic race (I think) and use the race one, it won't let you adjust the TC on the handlebar rocker switch. So I went to Race Pro Mode instead.

When you?re in the ride mode pro setting and select race it will allow you to adjust the +-

Race in ride mode pro is the same as when you?re not in ride mode pro, difference being you can adjust the TC +- on the fly.

When you?re in the ride mode pro setting and select race it will allow you to adjust the +-

Race in ride mode pro is the same as when you?re not in ride mode pro, difference being you can adjust the TC +- on the fly.

i take that back, when in ride mode pro and with the mode set to race the option isn?t there for + or -

I thought it was.

Back