Gen 3 seat for track

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jebjeb

Reaction score
G'day

I'm finding my stock seat a bit too squishy for track work. Sat on an instructors track prepped Gen 3 and he had a race fairing including a foam seat pad on it (plus a different shape tank which was great for locking on to). It was great.

I am wondering if there are any options out there other than putting a race seat unit fairing on to get a much firmer seat? I was thinking that maybe I could buy a used OEM seat and strip the cover and soft foam off it and shape and stick a foam pad to it.

Thoughts?

you could,but it's a lot of work.are you road fairings still?

Looks like the HP race seat also need an ?80 mounting kit as well.

Gen 3 BMW HP Race Seat

Ah, interesting. I had only found US based ones. Damn expensive though! Could put a race tail and seat pad on for that. However, it does look very much like what I?m after.

I had one fitted to my previous Gen 3 and it was brilliant. You can order one from any BMW dealership.

I hadn?t clocked that the CRC short seat would work with the OEM fairings. That looks like a good option as well then.

Both options mean I don?t need to do any painting of fairings which is handy.

Thanks chaps

Thanks. That looks good and looks like it uses the factory mounting bolts. Have shot them an enquiry.

Race Seats

Thanks. That looks good and looks like it uses the factory mounting bolts. Have shot them an enquiry.

I have an alpha Racing branded one fitted on my Gen 4. Great seat but from experience they are only designed to fit with race fairings (Carbonin, alpha Racing, CRC etc).

Just as a follow up, I ended up getting the CRC seat. Most cost effective was to get the kit which came with the seat mount, rigid seat base and foam seat pad plus a full OEM style tail unit which I have left in the box.

Seat works fine with factory fairings.

I did have to drill the seat mount unit to fit two of the stock bolts through at the back of the mount.

Noticeably higher (maybe 20-30mm) than stock, noticeably harder too! Would not want to ride it on the road for any length of time.

Have found it great on track. Much grippier and a good profile for hanging off.

It is a few minute job to switch back to the stock seat.

Re: Gen 3 BMW HP Race Seat

I bought one too, to go with your old seat unit! I agree it's good, though lower than the foam-on-race-unit solution I had previously, which took a bit of getting used to...

Back