Convince me please

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rid3r

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here so go easy on me.

I'm currently debating on getting a new bike and stepping up from a 600 to a 1000cc. My current bike is a cbr 600rr 2006. My top end budget is around 15.5k and so I've been looking at an Hp4 carbon 2014. I've also been looking at other bikes, aprilia rsv 4, yamaha r1 and fireblade sp tt and gen 2 s1000rr sport.

I think I've narrowed it down to the sp, hp 4 and gen 2 s1000rr. Do I go for the hp4 at the top end of my budget or save a few grand and get the sp or save around 5k and get the gen 2 s1000rr sport?

Any advice and opinions are welcome. Although putting this post on an Hp4 forum probably already tells me the answer.

Hi,
I think you have Gen2 wrong...If you mean the 2019+ model then it's referred to as a Gen4. You can pick them up for 15k with forged rims etc and a couple of thousand miles on them...I would be doing that in your position. The blade and r1 aren't really road bikes. RSV4 is great but are you near a dealer?

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be wary of the HP4 as there have been a lot of them tracked (almost exclusively the non carbon ones with the black wheels), and they are quite an old bike now so bills could easily mount up if it hasn't been properly looked after. Also they've become more of a collectable so will be mileage sensitive which might not suit your needs?

Hi,
I think you have Gen2 wrong...If you mean the 2019+ model then it's referred to as a Gen4. You can pick them up for 15k with forged rims etc and a couple of thousand miles on them...I would be doing that in your position. The blade and r1 aren't really road bikes. RSV4 is great but are you near a dealer?
Thanks for your reply. To clarify, I was looking at a gen 2 which was priced at 10k therefore saving myself around 5k over the hp4. That was one of the cons of the rsv4, there is a dealer relatively close, are they that unreliable?

Welcome to the forum.
I'd be wary of the HP4 as there have been a lot of them tracked (almost exclusively the non carbon ones with the black wheels), and they are quite an old bike now so bills could easily mount up if it hasn't been properly looked after. Also they've become more of a collectable so will be mileage sensitive which might not suit your needs?

I've been looking at a carbon edition with 5k miles. Looks in good condition with fsh. With regards to mileage I'd be using it for nice day runs and would be lucky to do 2-3k miles a year.

Welcome !

Had the RSV4rf 2018, awesome on track but hated it in the road. Had a S1K 2010, 2015 and now 2020. 2020 is the M sport (not the race) I paid 16k a year ago-1900 miles from dealer. Gen 4 has 3 yr warranty from new with all latest upgrades from 2010 to date.

HP4 was AFAIK a gen 1 with upgrades, someone here will advise. As stated, it's really a collectors bike now so would you really ride it ?

Think Alex might be selling his , send him a message for year/spec?

With 15.5k you can have a Gen4 2019+... I am not sure I would consider anything else unless insurance is an issue.
10k seems a little high for a Gen2, lots of Gen3's around that value.

It's a tricky question. My mate is thinking about buying a bike after many years since his Fireblade. We did some back to back riding Gen3 (2018 version), KTM RC8, Panigale 995, and R1 4XV. After a days riding on motorway, A and B roads, his conclusion was the Gen3 was too much for the road although a fantastic bike, the KTM was the easiest to ride, The Ducati much better but was "quirky". The R1 felt old, very old. He liked the Panigale best even though the KTM was better to ride ????
Many pristine low mileage bikes are ex track bikes. We all know the scenario, run it in, put all the track gear on, thrash the pants of fit, put new tyres on and all the pristine road gear and sell as 1 owner never seen rain....... Call me cynical because I am.
HP4 is a great bike. Later Gen3 is even better. Gen4 (when I test road it) was too track focused for the road. I preferred my HP4, however the Gen3 is even better than the HP4 and of the different bikes ridden it was my choice as it does everything the others do, but does it better.
How you choose between the R1M, RSV4 and a BMW is down to you, but beware and check all the good stuff/optional extras is actually still fitted before you part with your money.
An HP4 with a full OE Akropovic and Carbon kit is an awesome choice, but to ride is not as good as the later Gen3 with a few more years development.
It's also nice to think the HP4 won't devalue as much as the others, but it's only worth what someone will pay for it. And if you end up frightened to use, get it dirty and put more miles on the clock, then what's the point ? Buy something you will enjoy using.

It's a tricky question. My mate is thinking about buying a bike after many years since his Fireblade. We did some back to back riding Gen3 (2018 version), KTM RC8, Panigale 995, and R1 4XV. After a days riding on motorway, A and B roads, his conclusion was the Gen3 was too much for the road although a fantastic bike, the KTM was the easiest to ride, The Ducati much better but was "quirky". The R1 felt old, very old. He liked the Panigale best even though the KTM was better to ride ????
Many pristine low mileage bikes are ex track bikes. We all know the scenario, run it in, put all the track gear on, thrash the pants of fit, put new tyres on and all the pristine road gear and sell as 1 owner never seen rain....... Call me cynical because I am.
HP4 is a great bike. Later Gen3 is even better. Gen4 (when I test road it) was too track focused for the road. I preferred my HP4, however the Gen3 is even better than the HP4 and of the different bikes ridden it was my choice as it does everything the others do, but does it better.
How you choose between the R1M, RSV4 and a BMW is down to you, but beware and check all the good stuff/optional extras is actually still fitted before you part with your money.
An HP4 with a full OE Akropovic and Carbon kit is an awesome choice, but to ride is not as good as the later Gen3 with a few more years development.
It's also nice to think the HP4 won't devalue as much as the others, but it's only worth what someone will pay for it. And if you end up frightened to use, get it dirty and put more miles on the clock, then what's the point ? Buy something you will enjoy using.

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply.
Any of these bikes are capable of much more than I am as a rider therefore I guess it comes down to personal preference. I feel that the hp4 would have that bit more of a special feeling tbh. Also as you state, it would hopefully hold its value more.

If you do go HP4 then I'd choose the Carbon version but as I stated above make sure it has all the OE parts. The cost to replace HP4 OE items is eye wateringly expensive

If you do go HP4 then I'd choose the Carbon version but as I stated above make sure it has all the OE parts. The cost to replace HP4 OE items is eye wateringly expensive

It is the carbon version I've been looking at. It looks to have all the OE parts, akrapovic exhaust, rear sets, tail etc. Any issues I should be aware of with the hp4?

Sorry to sound boring, but if you keep it nice when you come to sell it, probably wont have lost much all the devaluation done.

Try for a low miles, as its a big service at 17,000 miles, valve clearances, expensive.

Go for the Carbon (Competition pack on invoice) worth the extra. There are fakes out there so research, work out how to tell if tracked.

If you read the reviews of the time suggested better as fast road (think TT) than track. Which is what most of do if we are honest. It beyond my skills to say, but on the road faster then anything my mates have, except 1 and that's 'cos he mad.

Has an upshifter, no blipper, but nothing you cant do on the throttle yourself. It is built very well.

Motorrad dealers normally good service, parts you'll need available. Gen 3 is % better.

Off to the TT Sunday, last time I went, was only one other HP4 there. They are fairly rare limited edition bikes.

I have two, the one taking to TT has a BMW decat (worth finding, get original cat) and no baffle, on the TT it's FAB!

Glasgow has a low mileage one I'm sure, looks in great nick, I picked up a coil pack for mine two weeks ago and it was in the used bit.. don't see it on the website tho..it was a Carbon..15k or thereabouts..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back