Bike goes in to limp mode when on wide open throttle

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markjennings

Reaction score
Anyone had this problem, I have,nt had the bike scanned for faults yet as it only occurred on a trackday yesterday. It is a 2016 Gen 3, when the twistgrip is opened fully against the stop in third or fourth the bike goes into limp mode, the engine management light comes on and the bike will only tickover, turning the ignition off and on will reset it but the fault will reoccur when on wide open throttle again.
Bike is totally standard. If the throttle is used even with the full rev range without going to the stop everything works as it should - its only a problem when going to the stop.
Anyone with experience of this fault please ?

A bit left field, I've had that with a Ducati. I thought immediately Fuel or spark. Turned out to be the Regulator/Rectifier proving too high a voltage at high revs and the bike would just go into protection mode. Also check the battery connections as the more electronics it has, the more sensitive they are to voltage fluctuations.

also,try a manual recalibration.turn on ignition(dont start it) open throttle fully,hold for a second or 2,put back to closed,turn ignition off,then turn ignition back on.thats the process using a gs911 unit,but does work (sometimes) without it.

mentioned the battery/connections on the other thread,thought iut was the same thread :)

Back