Lithium battery problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonio_beqa

Reaction score
Hello i have S1000RR 2018 year i bought UNIBAT ULT 2 lithium battery but on riding it shows all lights coming on and off also speedometer somtime shows speed somtime not . I checked with gs 911 and there was error, ,, battery overvoltage '' i reseted it again raid and again same problem and error

After that i inatalled my old normal battery and everything works fine so whata the peoblem of lithium its defective or not working for my model ? Or does it need any modification in ecu ?

Also i found that with nornal battery i have 12.4v while bike is not started and with lithium its 13.4v just when ignition is on and motor is not started

Could anyone check if UNIBAT ULT 2 is good for my bike ?

Over voltage is normally a Regulator/Rectifier problem. The more electronics on a bike, the more sensitive it is to voltage issues. On my Ducati, when the voltage hit 14.5v whilst riding, the whole bike shut down to protect the electronics. Swapped the Reg/Rec over with my older TL1000R and both have run fine since. The UNIBAT ULT 2 should be fine. J

Just if regulator is going to bad why does not have any issues on another battery which is not lithium ? I mean i inserted old battery and no more error or warning lights is it possible the ULT2 battery is defective himself ?

run a multi meter on the battery when it's running to se if theres any fluctuation in the voltage.it is possible the battery is faulty

If the voltage is above 13v *without the bike running* then I would say the battery is not correct.

11.9-12.4v is usual for the battery not running anything.
14v is usual when the engine is running.

My old battery 12.4v while lithium shows 13.13v while bike is off so its battery fault ? Or mabe lithiums are showing more than normal batterys ?

I've got 4 lithium batteries. I'll test their standing voltage when I get back from Brands. I'd hope they're all 13.5v + J

Last edited:
So what could be reason of my problem battery not compatible to my bike ? Or its defective or my regulator fault ? (But how it works than on my old batter withou issue)

Especially with a lithium which usually shows 11.7v charged so I?d say something is definitely wrong.

The fact everything works as it should when you use another battery proves this, check the charge rate anyway.

So what could be reason of my problem battery not compatible to my bike ? Or its defective or my regulator fault ? (But how it works than on my old batter withou issue)

Test the charge rate just to rule it out, I?d be inclined to say the reg/rec is fine and that the fault lies with the lithium battery but do that test anyway. It?s probably just failed, everything can just fail at some point. The fact you were getting 13+ volts when off suggests a problem with the battery as lithium batteries tend to show roughly 11.7v when fully charged.

Replaced battery from shop and it works good no more overvoltage ,

So if anyone will have such problem it would be defective battery himself

Lithium batteries suffer from memory effect, they need conditioning properly or could show a voltage they don?t actually have

Yep, very true including Tesla's. Any Lithium battery phone, laptop, etc you should charge it 100%, discharge it 0% five times to teach it where full and empty is. Then once a month flatten it. The problem is people keep topping up so that's where the battery thinks is empty.
I've seen a 2 year old Tesla having it's batteries replaced at the owners expense because of that. ?12,000.

Yep, very true including Tesla's. Any Lithium battery phone, laptop, etc you should charge it 100%, discharge it 0% five times to teach it where full and empty is. Then once a month flatten it. The problem is people keep topping up so that's where the battery thinks is empty.
I've seen a 2 year old Tesla having it's batteries replaced at the owners expense because of that. ?12,000.

Thought this was a thing of the past ....

Are you saying I should flatten my bimmer and charge it 5 times if I dont keep it on trickle?

Last edited:
For example, on the iPhone apple recommend you don?t completely flatten the battery but never let it drop below 50%.
But the iphone hardware and software has smart management for the battery unlikely to be same here though, check what manufacturer of the battery says is best

Last edited:
For example, on the iPhone apple recommend you don?t completely flatten the battery but never let it drop below 50%.
But the iphone hardware and software has smart management for the battery unlikely to be same here though, check what manufacturer of the battery says is best

You?ll be amazed at how many lithium batteries are being replaced worldwide in any device. Makes a mockery of being a green alternative. Lithium from Australia, Bolivia. Cobalt from Africa. Graphite Anode from refining crude oil.

Back