Alpha Racing - Quickshifter Fitted

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only saw normal gear changes from memory. Don't think the gen 4 flashed

So what makes you think that it requires doing? Did you try using it before doing the calibration? Just trying to work out why they?d say ?plug and play? and that it doesn?t require calibrating.

So what makes you think that it requires doing? Did you try using it before doing the calibration? Just trying to work out why they?d say ?plug and play? and that it doesn?t require calibrating.
The Hm one was calibrated by dealer but would still not work. So I put standard back on and it would not work until I did the process.
Dont believe the term plug and play literally it needs this doing which ever brand you buy I believe.

So possibly whenever the plug is removed it then requires setting up, I might do it just to see what happens. I?m intrigued.

So possibly whenever the plug is removed it then requires setting up, I might do it just to see what happens. I?m intrigued.

I had mine on and of a dozen times switching between shifters. Only when a different one was calibrated would it need re setting. This was also done at the track where only the standard one would work each time put back on.

Have you used the Alpha one on the Gen 4?

and what do you mean by ?only the standard one would work when put back on? you said earlier that even the standard one would require setting back up when put back on after having an aftermarket one fitted.

Because at the track I wasn't doing the process for either shifter. So it was always set up for the standard one no matter how many times i swapped them about.

Because at the track I wasn't doing the process for either shifter. So it was always set up for the standard one no matter how many times i swapped them about.

so without doing the process for either shifter how did they work? You?re saying it has to be set up when you fit a different shifter so that doesn?t make sense to me going on what you?ve put before. It either works as plug and play or it has to be set up, can?t be either or, unless it?s a case of it will work but might not work as well.

Its not rocket science the standard one was set from factory. No others will work without learning the gears

Yeah but you said in a previous post that even the standard one has to be set up when put back on but then a few posts ago said at track you didn?t have to.

I just had Ryan confirm that his Alpha Racing shifter worked simply as plug and play.

Yeah but you said in a previous post that even the standard one has to be set up when put back on but then a few posts ago said at track you didn?t have to.

I just had Ryan confirm that his Alpha Racing shifter worked simply as plug and play.

The standard one has to be set back up if youve set an aftermarket one. At track Id never set up the HM one so no settings were changed so the oem one would just naturally work.

Ryan also told me Id have to set the Alpha one up by learning the gears .

Suppose it makes no odds but when there?s conflicting information with regards to it I like to know which is actually the case. When Alpha say you don?t and Ryan says his didn?t require it then it makes me think that might be the case.

I?m guessing the ECU , on the bike is in a constant state of learning it if you do the N for 10 secs and then each gears the same using the clutch to change.

What I?d like to know is did anyone who set it up this way when fitting the Alpha QS did they actually try riding the bike beforehand to see whether it was ok or not.

I?ll have to buy one myself and see what happens before doing the above.

.Suppose it makes no odds but when there?s conflicting information with regards to it I like to know which is actually the case. When Alpha say you don?t and Ryan says his didn?t require it then it makes me think that might be the case.

I?m guessing the ECU , on the bike is in a constant state of learning it if you do the N for 10 secs and then each gears the same using the clutch to change.

What I?d like to know is did anyone who set it up this way when fitting the Alpha QS did they actually try riding the bike beforehand to see whether it was ok or not.

I?ll have to buy one myself and see what happens before doing the above./QUOTE]

"When Alpha say you don?t"....the procedure I posted before was from Alpha Racing ;-)

What I?d like to know is did anyone who set it up this way when fitting the Alpha QS did they actually try riding the bike beforehand to see whether it was ok or not....I did just to test the mechanism and all was secure but I did go through the gears but not as prescribed. I didn't have any issues pre or post calibration. As you say it may be a non event as the ECU wasn't replaced, the battery wasn't disconnected etc.... I just aired on the safe side.

alpha Racing Quickshifter

You can just plug the alpha Racing quickshifter straight in and it will work so in that sense it really is ?plug and play? as described. That said I found that once calibrated mine performed even better and gear changes were much slicker at higher revs on track. For peace of mind it is worth calibrating it periodically during routine maintenance as it really takes no time at all. I have also found that it is particularly sensitive to gear shift lever, gear box selector and shift rod position so it is worth calibrating it if you ever make any changes or convert to race shift. You will soon know if it doesn?t work as it simply won?t shift properly!

Re: alpha Racing Quickshifter

You can just plug the alpha Racing quickshifter straight in and it will work so in that sense it really is ?plug and play? as described. That said I found that once calibrated mine performed even better and gear changes were much slicker at higher revs on track. For peace of mind it is worth calibrating it periodically during routine maintenance as it really takes no time at all. I have also found that it is particularly sensitive to gear shift lever, gear box selector and shift rod position so it is worth calibrating it if you ever make any changes or convert to race shift. You will soon know if it doesn?t work as it simply won?t shift properly!
Great feedback and a very pragmatic approach. I agree 100% post calibration the gear changes were very slick at <4K revs. As the calibration process is very straight forward routine recalibration if needed would be a doddle.

Last edited:
alpha Racing Quickshifter

Great feedback and a very pragmatic approach. I agree 100% post calibration the gear changes were very slick at <4K revs. As the calibration process is very straight forward routine recalibration if needed would be a doddle.

When the engine is revving beyond 12K then that is when you really feel the difference using it on track.

Re: alpha Racing Quickshifter

I have literally just ordered one, Is it really simple to Calibrate...Best to do on Paddock Stands?

Back