Alpha Racing - Quickshifter Fitted

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaperman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
After much consideration I took the plunge and ordered up the quick shifter from Alpha Racing.....fitted back end of last week after recalibrating the shift mechanism and took it out for a spin.
It is noticeably slicker from 4K revs on with hardly any movement....its near instantaneous and a worthy upgrade if you also plan to track your bike too.

A couple of pics with the QS installed (Note I have since added the 2 rubber boots at the ball joints from the hem unit)

Attachments

• Alpha_Racing_QS_2.jpg
    Alpha_Racing_QS_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • Alpha_Racing_QS.jpg
    Alpha_Racing_QS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
Running it in the same gear for 10 seconds and clutch changing in between...you can do it on a paddock stand or on the road. If the Gen 4 is like the Gen3 then the indicated gear flashes until it has calibrated.

What does ?recalibrating? consist of?

From Alpha....
[FONT=&quot]Start the engine with the transmission in neutral and allow the engine to idle for ten seconds.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then drive the rear wheel in each gear for at least ten seconds, shifting gears in the usual way, in other words by disengaging the clutch. Take suitable measures lo allow the rear wheel to run safely.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then switch the ignition off for at least ten seconds to save the new adaptation values.[/FONT]

Does it go into calibration mode automatically if the sensor has been removed and you have to do above? Does the gear display like Alex says? Just curious, i can?t see it calibrating every time if you were to run each gear for ten seconds and change gear using the clutch, I have it in my mind it would have to enter calibration first before doing the above.

Running it in the same gear for 10 seconds and clutch changing in between...you can do it on a paddock stand or on the road. If the Gen 4 is like the Gen3 then the indicated gear flashes until it has calibrated.

Just seen a video of it being done on a 2016 and a GS tool had to be used, reset transmission within the menu then once done calibrated on the stand like you mention except he did it up through the gears and then down the way as well.

Does it go into calibration mode automatically if the sensor has been removed and you have to do above? Does the gear display like Alex says? Just curious, i can?t see it calibrating every time if you were to run each gear for ten seconds and change gear using the clutch, I have it in my mind it would have to enter calibration first before doing the above.
Does it go into calibration mode automatically if the sensor has been removed and you have to do above - because the whole unit is being swapped out the bike MUST be recalibrated again as per instructions

Does the gear display like Alex says? - cycling through the gears as per process does display the gears in the LED screen

I have it in my mind it would have to enter calibration first before doing the above - the posted process is CALIBRATION or what is called a "soft" calibration. Removing previous adaptations for the ECU could be considered too

Just seen a video of it being done on a 2016 and a GS tool had to be used, reset transmission within the menu then once done calibrated on the stand like you mention except he did it up through the gears and then down the way as well.
Yes clearing adaptations is a belt a braces method...I didn't have access to a GS-911 at the time but I have that in hand so will recalibrate before takin the Rah Rah out on the road again ;-)
yes I went up through the gears using the clutch and back down again hold the clutch in.....switched off for 2 mins then fired her back up....all good.

Last edited:
Yes clearing adaptations is a belt a braces method...I didn't have access to a GS-911 at the time but I have that in hand so will recalibrate before takin the Rah Rah out on the road again ;-)
yes I went up through the gears using the clutch and back down again hold the clutch in.....switched off for 2 mins then fired her back up....all good.

I imagine if it?s working good then you won?t have to worry about clearing it. His video was not based on fitting a new shifter but having shifter problems and trying to calibrate it again to solve these issues.

Just got this reply from them.

4-B589-BF9-4219-4-F66-B8-E8-611-E02-E8-F649.png

Did you get instructions with the shifter to do the calibration that you did?

Page 55 under gear not trained

just found it. So it?s stating to do this if there?s an issue and if the gear indicator is flashing. So as per the email from Alpha Racing the shifter is plug and play and doesn?t require setting up. I wonder if the OP experienced a flashing gear indicator after fitting the shifter?

Back