Stevie from Limerick

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luimneach Abu

Reaction score
Howya,
Thanks for the join and the access to some important info. From Limerick in Ireland or Europe to ye brits lol. Just switched from a 2009 Big Bang (i still miss her voice).

Bought a 2019 racing red standard 20k miles (21k with staff/Tech use-testing lol) with 1 years manufacturer/dealer warranty, manufactured dec 2019 (2020 reg, only extras from bmw are; DDC, ABS Pro, Gear Shift Assist Pro, and the usual never seen rain, ridden by a 60 year old in spain etc from salesman) used from motorrad in Ireland, awesome machine, love it to bits.

Installed/Lip Stick/Warranty killers; Tecbike bellypan, Zero Gravity Corsair screen, SC Project CRT Slip on, TST Industries integrated turn signals and low mount fender eliminator with block off plate (modified to appease the garda/police), Tecspec tank grips, Motorrad tank pad, Motorrad TFT protector, Motorrad rad/oil cooler guard, EvoTech Axle, Frame protectors, Evotech Spools and bar ends, Lightech chain adjusters.

And now for the problems hahaha. When first bought had her for 3 weeks or so with minimal miles done as the weather was shite and i was ill, got a fault for engine control after prob 500 kilometres, back to shop and tech informed me it was the knock sensor which was replaced and bike returned (no replacement bike offered either, i don't drive 4 wheeled things), approx 20 kilometres into first ride same fault, sent back to the shop, same fault again, tech found that a wire was too close to the catalyst and it burned thus the knock sensor fault, valves were checked and adjusted prior to my purchase to my knowledge which means the rerouting of the loom was done incorrectly i would assume (BMW Techs probably take there holidays seeing a gen4 come in for work).
Have a note in for the ddc (2nd quarter of this year for new upgraded forks, no word yet), I'm getting the knock right through the top yoke to clip ons now which is horrendous, first time i felt it i thought the steering stem bearings were gone, it honestly feels like a high nelly now combined with the next point.
Now i have a creaking or cracking noise coming from either the swing arm or rear suspension. As in picking bike off side stand there is an audible creak, sit on the bike and bounce weight up and down on the saddle there is more audible noise, coming off a speed bump also produces this. Havent lifted the bike yet to see if there is movement in the swingarm but i presume swing arm bearings are toast.

Added to the suspension issues which may or not be connected im getting a lot of chain surge lower in the rpms in slow traffic which was not evident prior to the rear swingarm/suspension issue, the big thing that worries me is under an exhuberant pull i get a lot of pulsing through each clip on (i'm aware the s1000rr is buzzy like a gixxer, the mirrors are next to useless lol),it feels like when a dyson hoover is telling you its working too hard tbh. FYI i clean my chain more than myself:unconscious::unconscious::unconscious::unconscious:

Hows that for a hello

Welcome Stevie, I've not read all your intro but it looks comprehensive lol.

Plenty help on here from the members [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hi Steve, certainly a hello and help introduction.
Having stated you check and clean the chain regularly, have you checked all the nuts and bolts. Im not sure why you are experiencing knocking through to the clipons. Noted you have to see about the DDC, this might have an impact with the suspension. Have you adjusted/checked the suspension. Im interested to hear what the issues are.

hello CMD6319,

Will be away from the bike for the week with work so will be the weekend before i can have a good run through, one thing i will be checking is the alignment of the rear wheel, the weekend i noticed when cleaning the chain after a ride an irregular wear pattern on the rear sprocket teeth as in the chain not making a parallell contact with the teeth (will post pics when im home), could be the extra movement in the swingarm if it is the swingarm bearings.

The DDC has been bad from day one, but now when i pull the front brake it feels like there is movement in the system which is felt right through to the grips (its audible, you can hear it) where as it wasn't that bad to begin with, which leads me to believe its toast and dangerous to boot.

The surging in the chain and the alternating pulsing in the clip-ons/grips i would hope are symptoms of this.

Irregardless, the bike is still uder warranty so a call to the tech or bmw is still the likely course but just trying to get an uderstanding of how the bike works without a workshop manual, no wonder bmw stay out of motoGP, we do there R&D for them lol....

Hi ! Knock through the clipons could be front leg internal fault (known problem). By surge, do you mean it accelerates? Mine hiccups when slowing down to minimal revs. I never use the rear axle markings for the chain, I use a depth gauge off the end of the swing arm to measure both sides.

Back