Alarm

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro3178

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Evening guys,

For some reason I thought my new RR M sport came with an alarm but since realised it?s an optional extra. Do most just get bmw to do this at time of order? My bike is already at the showroom , can the alarm just be added easily now? Or would this now be costly ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't bother personally. Biketrac/alltrac and a chain. Alarms just don't help.

However if you insist, then yes the dealer can retro fit.

The Alarm is so damn annoying. Mine came with one and you breathe on it and it goes off. Tracker and ground anchors are a better investment.

From experience, I'd rather have an alarm than not. I had one bike not stolen because the alarm went off (they tried, but it scared them off) and one bike that was stolen and didn't have an alarm. And don't give me the tracker bullshit. That did absolutely nothing.

Thanks guys. The bike will always be stored in my attached garage which is locked and alarmed with the house, it also has internal and external cctv. If I?m out on the bike it?s never left unattended.

Personally I have alarms on all my bikes. Easy to switch off when needed on S1000RR.

I need them for when I'm travelling on a trip. I know so many people who have had bikes stolen when abroad. I always get a room overlooking where the bikes are, so the alarm will wake me. A lot of hotels don't have garages. To me it's peace of mind.

If you are using the bike on the road, I'd get one. Looking at the above, I maybe wrong but most use their bikes for trackdays? It's plug and play really. J

Last edited:
Personally I have alarms on all my bikes. Easy to switch off when needed on S1000RR.

I need them for when I'm travelling on a trip. I know so many people who have had bikes stolen when abroad. I always get a room overlooking where the bikes are, so the alarm will wake me. A lot of hotels don't have garages. To me it's peace of mind.

If you are using the bike on the road, I'd get one. Looking at the above, I maybe wrong but most use their bikes for trackdays? It's plug and play really. J

Thanks. No plans just now to use on the road over night or I wouldn?t even question it to be honest .Track days are certainly on the cards!

Kills the battery life too imo

Not my experience. The garage at my old place had no electricity and my Gen 2 RR could spend the winter in there, alarmed, and still fire up in spring. My R has a lead acid battery and the tracker kills that in just over 4 weeks, Gen 4 RR has the lightweight battery, not sure that would last a month, again cos of the tracker.
I don't like that the alarm on the R automatically goes on after a while - not enough time to stop the bike, open garage and push it in. The Gen 2 has a big fob where you have to switch alarm on, which has its pros and cons, but still find it better than the modern system.

One quick thought. So my bikes have alarms and trackers... but a really, really good addition is an Apple AirTag.

Hide them anywhere and you can see where the tag is from anywhere in the world. Recently when my bike was being serviced, I needed to pick it up whilst I had a spare hour, so checked where the AirTag was and it showed that the bike was on the forecourt not in the workshop, so rang the dealer and said "I can see my bikes on the forecourt, can I pick it up"? He said err.... how do you know that? Brilliant things.. I've got them on my keys, wallet etc. You can tell it to warn you if you get separated etc. You can name them etc. Amazon have regular offers. I've got to that age now... :torn: J

Last edited:
One quick thought. So my bikes have alarms and trackers... but a really, really good addition is an Apple AirTag.

Hide them anywhere and you can see where the tag is from anywhere in the world. Recently when my bike was being serviced, I needed to pick it up whilst I had a spare hour, so checked where the AirTag was and it showed that the bike was on the forecourt not in the workshop, so rang the dealer and said "I can see my bikes on the forecourt, can I pick it up"? He said err.... how do you know that? Brilliant things.. I've got them on my keys, wallet etc. You can tell it to warn you if you get separated etc. You can name them etc. Amazon have regular offers. I've got to that age now... :torn: J

Does the AirTag not send a signal out if it?s close to a phone for a length of time? Think it was implemented for stalking reasons ?

Does the AirTag not send a signal out if it?s close to a phone for a length of time? Think it was implemented for stalking reasons ?

Yep, they've implemented a warning after a couple of days that will warn iPhone users if their iPhone is set up for it and after that it will make a noise. My experience of thieves is they nick your bike, park it up for 24-48 hours to see if it's got a tracker on it and then take it to their place where they strip it.

That time period easily allows you to find the bike. My mates scooter was nicked over Easter and he personally recovered it within the hour.

For a few quid, it's brilliant.

J

Yep, they've implemented a warning after a couple of days that will warn iPhone users if their iPhone is set up for it and after that it will make a noise. My experience of thieves is they nick your bike, park it up for 24-48 hours to see if it's got a tracker on it and then take it to their place where they strip it.

That time period easily allows you to find the bike. My mates scooter was nicked over Easter and he personally recovered it within the hour.

For a few quid, it's brilliant.

J

Ah nice! I was under the impression it was after a couple hours but a few days is more than enough time to recover, like you say, it?s generally parked up somewhere incase it has a tracker.

I?m definitely getting one for the misses, every other day it?s ? have you seen my keys ? [emoji849] , she is older than me right enough lol

Honestly, they're brilliant. I left my wallet on the passenger seat of my car in a car park and as I walked away a message popped up on my phone saying your separated from your wallet. Apple don't actually specify a time but from experience it's currently 2 days. Dogs, Cats, Children....

Back