First bike trackday? (tuition??)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toiletduck

Reaction score
Hey, hoping someone can offer some words of wisdom.

I want to book my first bike trackday. I'm in Kent so Brands is my local, I've driven it many times over the years in various cars (Clio 172 up to M4 Competition).

I'm looking on the usual sites (msv/trackdays.co.uk) and wondering how the best way to get started is? Is it a good idea to get tuition on day 1 to try and break through corner speed mental blocks? Or just go to an evening session and take it easy??

if you know the circuit already thats a massive help.

go book a full day,get some instruction early on from 1 of the instructors to get an idea of whats what,tip in/braking points,glaringly obviousl faults etc (wouldn't do a full on 1-2-1 on your first time),take it easy and have fun,then maybe look at some proper tuition on your next days

Whole day. Go in novice - you're a novice no matter how good you are on the road.
Get instruction straight after the sighting laps - sighting laps are very steady.
Watch onboards from competent riders to get the lines...car lines are not massively dissimilar so it is a good start.
At brands, get there early to get in a garage...like 7am.

1st time. Do as little as possible. Rock up, set tyre pressures, ride. Keep it simple, you'll have enough to think about.

Not sure I agree with instruction after the sighting laps. Remembering back to my first TD, there was so much going on - trying to stay out of peoples way, overtaking others, watching for flags, slowing for yellows, hearing a bike behind me, building speed, remembering to change gear. It was info overload.

It took a session or two to settle and for all that to become more natural. I am sure I probably had a single session of 1:1 but it was later in the day once I could actually benefit and apply what I was being told.

I see there is a novice day @ Brands on the 24th. Get it booked ! Will be one of the best things you will do on your bike. Also as it?s a novice day there is less distraction of race teams etc in the paddock and settinggg up loads of gear and bagging entire garages. Gives you ability to know all others are in same position and you can share a garage with others.

Yes I saw the 24th May but it says instruction is sold out, I'll call and see what that means (might have never been for sale??).

Are most bike days run in sessions rather than open pit lane??

I also don't own a single piece suit, I've got my eye on the RST V4.1 but at the same time, for a novice day where I'm probably not going to reach any limits will my road two piece suffice (Dainese D-Air leathers)? It zips around 75% around, but on the trackday websites it says "must zip ALL the way around" and I have to be honest, I've never seen a 2 piece that has the zip start and finish in the same place. Realise I also need a lever guard.

75% is 'all the way' in the world of two piece suits.
Most track days are session based, not open pit.

Not sure I agree with instruction after the sighting laps. Remembering back to my first TD, there was so much going on - trying to stay out of peoples way, overtaking others, watching for flags, slowing for yellows, hearing a bike behind me, building speed, remembering to change gear. It was info overload.

It took a session or two to settle and for all that to become more natural. I am sure I probably had a single session of 1:1 but it was later in the day once I could actually benefit and apply what I was being told.

True enough, it does depend where your head is at after the first session or 2.

75% is 'all the way' in the world of two piece suits.
Most track days are session based, not open pit.
Could be 50% depending on how fat your tummy is lol... but no two pieces I've ever owned zip "all the way round".. The 4.1 is super tight BTW..if you buy from SBS they do free returns and the service is excellent...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

The 4.1 is super tight BTW..

Thanks mate, is that the 4.1 suit specifically or RST in general ??

I'm a 44 and I've tried on an RST Pro series before which fit me fine in 44, same with the Dainese Laguna Seca 4 (if you know of either of those for reference...)

Last edited:
Just booked cadwell and 2 coaching sessions are they worth it
seems a daft question as already paid just wondered what people think

I'll guess what they will tell you
Trust the electronics
Brake a bit later
Accelerate as soon as you see the exit
Hang off a bit more
Hold the bars loosely and alter your grip to allow you to lead with your elbow (you might need a demo of this technique)
Move early and get off the seat before you start braking
If you start to move off the seat as you are changing down/braking you are moving too late
Use the motion from the gear change on the straight to "bump" you out of the seat to move position rather than using your leg muscles
Look as far into the exit of a corner as you can
Get as close to the edge of the track as you can
Square off the slower corners
Get the bike as upright as you can to get the power down
Have the throttle set so your are on an even throttle ready to power out of a corner as it gives the suspension an easier time
Only trail brake once you are confident
Letting off the brake suddenly in a corner and hitting the power will unsettle the suspension
Lower your tyre pressure
Get the suspension set up to your weight

I'll tap the back of the seat in the corners where you need to follow my lines.

I think that will cover it :)

Did a James whitham track training day was good not many riders per group.
The price reflects that but for your first trackday it?s a good choice

Back