best air filter for track?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depends who you ask tbh.if it's for performance gain,then i wouldn't bother unless your going to to go down the real expensive route of BMC or MWR
but theres not a huge amount of gain over stock.

but,if your going to be cleaning it regular then they are a good idea,as they dont need replacing,just cleaning,whereas stock cant be cleaned (effectively at least) due to materials.

K n N do a good race filter at not bad money (60 quid ish) and also a good cleaning kit+re oiling kit.

if you want one let me know,ive a freshly cleaned one here for a gen3 less then 1/2 the price

I asked Phil Crowe this when my Gen 3 was at his place over the winter........standard is as good as anything performance wise was the answer.

depends who you ask tbh.if it's for performance gain,then i wouldn't bother unless your going to to go down the real expensive route of BMC or MWR
but theres not a huge amount of gain over stock.

but,if your going to be cleaning it regular then they are a good idea,as they dont need replacing,just cleaning,whereas stock cant be cleaned (effectively at least) due to materials.

K n N do a good race filter at not bad money (60 quid ish) and also a good cleaning kit+re oiling kit.

if you want one let me know,ive a freshly cleaned one here for a gen3 less then 1/2 the price
Thanks for that
How old is the one you have (presume you mean K&N)?
How many times you cleaned and re used?
How much is less than half price?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Air Filter

I have a BMC air filter fitted on my Gen 4 simply as it can be cleaned and reused. alpha Racing claim that it adds a whopping 1 Bhp increase in performance but the reality is you will never notice the difference. The same goes for any other aftermarket air filter and anyone stating big performance gains from having one fitted is usually talking utter nonsense.

The OEM air filter is extremely good and the only benefit of buying aftermarket is that you can clean them as opposed to repeatedly buying replacements.

I use MWR as used by countless WSBK teams. Most MotoGP teams run a wire mesh to stop stones but only actually run an air filter if the circuit is dusty ie when COTA was surface ground and left a lot of dust on the circuit. Same for Qatar sometimes. I was amazed at the BMW race filter had so little filtration. You can easily see through it to object behind. It comes with the Akra full system and map. Most filters nowadays you'll only gain 1-2 BHP. J

Last edited:
I use MWR as used by countless WSBK teams. Most MotoGP teams run a wire mesh to stop stones but only actually run an air filter if the circuit is dusty ie when COTA was surface ground and left a lot of dust on the circuit. Same for Qatar sometimes. I was amazed at the BMW race filter had so little filtration. You can easily see through it to object behind. It comes with the Akra full system and map. Most filters nowadays you'll only gain 1-2 BHP. J

i once fell foul of a set of HRC filters for my 07 SBK blade,it was an awesome bike,with a fully blown tony scott engine in it,but didn't realise the filters were litttle more than a bit of mesh,so,ended up scoring the barrels after a dusty trackday in france which was rather annoying :(

Back