Touring on an S1K?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinewave

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

Just about to comit to buying a Sports bike after an 18 year lay off.

My last bike was an early Blade so although it was the 'Dogs' in it's day I'm well prepared to be shocked by today's modern litre Rocket Ships.

My question is does anyone use an S1K for touring and if so has anyone modded their Bikes to help with wrist/back ache by fitting Helibars or Riser Bars etc.

I'm 45 now and I remember mu old Blade being hard on the wrists at less than 70ish.

My mates who have Bikes go on a 4 day Tour to Ireland once a year and this year I fancy joining them but don't want to buy a Bike that's gunna Kill me comfort wise.

Yes I know I could buy a ZZR14 or sunat but I just don't do big heavy bikes.

Hi. That's quite a lot of time away from biking and the jumping back on to something like an S1k sounds a bit brave to me, but if you insist, then I recommend that you give a dealer a call and have a test ride. My local dealer (Clarkes in Rednal) let me have a nicely spec'd 2012 machine for a whole afternoon (3 hours) to convince me that it was the right bike ...they know that it will simply sell itseff!

As for touring, it's comfy for a sports bike IMO and they do some good luggage for this bike - see other threads on luggage.

I agree with what he said, the roads have changed immensely in the last 5 yrs definitely try before you buy & good luck with the insurance as most companies wont even bother if you havent got at least 2yrs no claims on another litre bike. As for touring did 2500 miles this summer with no worries, i just use soft luggage an pack sensible. :D

Been to Italy, Spain,Switzerland,Germany on mine these last couple of years
The helibars are well worth it
Done quite a few 500+ mile days no mither
Get an air hawk too
Search the posts there's lots of info

Cheers for the replies so far!

Your not wrong about insurance! :eek:

Best quote I've had for a ZX10R was £680 Fully Comp with Zero NCB

Best quote for an S1K is £900, both do-able and will obviously drop like a stone in a years time assuming no miss-haps! :-[

I've done some in-depth investigation in to riding position alterations for Peeps like me who want Sport Bike looks, performance etc but need a less Race Rep riding position.

The Yanks and a lot of UK Bikers are raving about Apex Riser Clip ons which by all accounts are the Doggies Chopper of custom bars.

APEX Riser Clip Ons Review from Sportbiketrackgear.com

These along with some lower rear sets and a Gel seat should be enough for my requirements.

Not investigate Luggage yet so any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :D

+1 on the Vetura system.

Reasonably expensive at around £300 all in but IMHO very much worth it. The bag can obviously be used on other bikes in the future.

I'm 41 and 6'2 and have toured across France and Germany on the Sthou as it came out of the factory and it was excellent for a full on sports bike. I had a ZZR14 before and I found the S more comfortable. The only slight niggle I find is the heavy throttle spring which was improved 2012s. I got a nice bracket off Baz which should sort my out my 2011 (which I have yet to fit ::) )

The bmw is a comfy bike its dimensions are based on a gsxr 1000 k5 and if you know your bikes the gixxer 1000 is a very comfy bike,you sit in the bike more than sitting on top of it,heli bars are a good option if your wrists give you trouble,ill be touring on mine next year fingers crossed and will with be doing about 350-400 miles a day over 14 days,i done plenty of rides on the bike in summer months from 9am till 7-8 in the evenings and never had any issuse with being cramped or hurting that much,ive also just invested in some sw motech blaze panniers and sw motech tank bag with adjustable sat nav holder,also got the bmw rear bag as its well up to the job for high speeds but its not 100 percent water proof but a good old black bag will keep things dry inside,mce are also the cheapest for me with insurance coming in at £510 fully comp with 4 years no claims and 6 points with all modifications declared... ;)

Hi sinewave
My input I have the helibars like fatbob these make the the bike much more comfortable tried the airhawk but did not get on with it I have the ventura luggage very good bit of kit,I am thinking of getting a sergeant seat £249 and you have 7 days to return if not satisfied,also I have my suspension set up per the handbook to comfort this makes amazing difference to the ride, Has anyone got the sergeant seat on there sthou if so any good !!!. :) :) :) I have been thinking about getting another ZZR 1400 but love the bmw.
Hope this helps.

Back