Worth waiting until 2023?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMD80

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello guys. I?ve recently bought a GS (after owning a Gen3 RR). I was on the brink of buying a Gen4 but had a last minute change of heart and thought having a ?do it all? bike was the way forward; however, a couple of months later and I?m just struggling to gel with the GS. I haven?t made my mind up on whether I should trade it for an RR as I?m bound to lose a lot of cash, but it?s got me thinking on whether I?d be better off waiting until 2023 in case there are any major updates / improvements made to the RR.

Given the Gen4 is now 3 years old, do we think changes are likely to happen for 2023?

I've heard (on forums somewhere and a YouTube video with a purported prototype) there could be a new version of the GS in 2023 with a larger (1300cc) motor. Something to consider.
Update: I think this is the YouTube video where I 1st heard this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbG-utwZh4

Thanks mate. I?m just not sure if adventure bikes are for me. The R1250 is actually surprisingly fast with plenty of torque, however it feels like you?re sat in an armchair (which is nice a longer rides) but feels (to me, at least) less engaging than when you?re on a sports bike. I?m intrigued to see what an M1300 GS would look like though!

I've not seen anything rumoured for a '23 update to the Gen4 RR. But having said that its certainly due. 3-4 years is the usual cadence. Covid would push timelines back but in that time we've had the MRR and the lessons from the two should lead to a Gen5... The original HP4 was a tech demonstrator for the Gen3 after all.

There are plenty of rumours swirling around the BSB paddock about a new M1000RR for 2023 focusing on a significantly updated engine with Shiftcam being removed. There is hardly any noise about a new or updated S1000RR as that?s not what the race teams need.

Interesting about the Shiftcam being removed. It would make sense as it seems to have caused a lot of headaches for the race teams over the last few years. Wonder if we will see more of a Honda style power plant?

For the S1000RR it wouldn't surprise me if we saw some aero....I mean you are not cool these days unless you have aero

I just can't get on with those funny over engineered front ends that remove any 'feeling'. Every GS fan says 'you get used to it' but that's a bit like going out with a 'minger' after dating Jennifer Aniston for a few years. That's not what I want to do.

Also if it's as good a front end as everyone says, why since 2010 have all the totally new BMW models (total of 18) not used the 'Telelever' front end?

Plus they snap off.... :neglected: They're pretty good at snapping the back end off as well.

https://www.tw200forum.com/threads/front-suspension-collapses-bmw-recall-gs-1200.51034/

15235926_1186036884765605_3287573901916098937_o.jpg.a0153648c8f507b520edaa26863dedd3.jpegIMG_0029.jpg930305745_ohYkh-L.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting about the Shiftcam being removed. It would make sense as it seems to have caused a lot of headaches for the race teams over the last few years.

From what I?ve been told the consensus is that Shiftcam is great for road bikes but not for race engines and has caused a good bit of grief. That and it?s never really used as the race bikes are always above 8,000 rpm anyway so it?s largely redundant. No doubt all will be revealed in November.

I agree. I?m sure I would get used to the front end feeling, but it?s just less involving when you can?t feel it (anyway, that?s what she said!).

Hello guys. I?ve recently bought a GS (after owning a Gen3 RR). I was on the brink of buying a Gen4 but had a last minute change of heart and thought having a ?do it all? bike was the way forward; however, a couple of months later and I?m just struggling to gel with the GS. I haven?t made my mind up on whether I should trade it for an RR as I?m bound to lose a lot of cash, but it?s got me thinking on whether I?d be better off waiting until 2023 in case there are any major updates / improvements made to the RR.

Given the Gen4 is now 3 years old, do we think changes are likely to happen for 2023?

interesting. I would wait and see what may come in 23 for sure. Bike production is now being affected by the worldwide chip shortages so your bike will be worth more than you might think by next year. The gen 4 has a number of foilbles as a road bike, namely its stupidly quick uncomfortable (small) and a hard ride on our less than smooth roads. I find I?m quicker on a GSA on the road than on a rr because the bigger heavier bike is more planted and has a lower centre of gravity allowing more lean much easier. Front end feel can be changed by tyres, the stock anakees are truly terrible rubber, PR5s transform it. Ultimately the two bikes are different tools for different jobs, apples and pears really.

Back