Gen 3 starting problem

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys
Got a 2018 gen 3 and currently in Almeria with my mate who has same bike.
Done one session fine. Tried starting for second session and cranks over fine, catches momentarily then didn't fire up. After that it just cranks over and won't start.
I had this once when here in Oct last year when I used the bike in earnest. Chap put a booster pack on battery and it started.
My mate is here with exact same bike and he had the same thing this morning.
It seems as though it's an issue when engine hot.
Cranks over fine so not battery issue.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Disconnect the battery for 90 seconds and try again. Might be a sensor being funny...
Check the side stand switch is plugged in.

Disconnect the battery for 90 seconds and try again. Might be a sensor being funny...
Check the side stand switch is plugged in.
Funny that my mates had the exact same issue. Been fine starting for last session.
Will try the battery disconnect Alex if that happens again

There is a BMW dealer in Almeria...i ended up there once.
Pepe came and had a guess but nothing conclusive.
Both bikes have been starting fine all afternoon. Mystery!
Seems to starts fine from cold, and also from hot, it's just after 30-45 mins after session when engine still very warm.
At least mine under warranty for another year! Andy not so lucky

Here's an update on the starting issue experienced recently in Almeria on my Gen 3. It's under 2 year used warranty so just gone in for 1 year service and exploration of the starting fault. Here's what the dealership have said:

The issues we found with the non start were the found with a technical bulletin:
There is a software version where the fuel pump primes the fuel system to the point the injectors lock out and allow no fuel in to the cylinders. The software update remedies this.
The second part of the bulletin states the fuel line is located above the coolant hose, when the hose is hot the heat transfers from the coolant hose to the fuel hose and causes the fuel to expand and again causes the injectors to lock out.
To remedy the above fault, we will fit some reflective tape over the fuel hose to stop heat transfer, the measure also states to replace the fuel pump, fuel line and quick release coupling/clamps

Last edited:
I had exactly the same happen at Almeria last week. Always the second session it wouldn't start. Left to cool and no further problems throughout the day. Pleased it was not just me then. Will try this heat shield fix.

Back