Seat choices?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev H

Reaction score
What seat (gen 4) are people using for longer distance touring? I?m 6ft 3 and use M seat for track days, standard seat for 3 to 4 hour journeys, but need something a little better for my Spain trip in summer.
Have looked at Wunderlich Active Comfort seat but a bit costly ?300 on Nippy Normans. Input appreciated.

I had gel and memory foam put into my m seat. I don't do track days so it's all about the comfort, great improvement. Had I been able to get the normal seat with the bike I would've gotten that instead however it wasn't an option.

For long tours I also have an air hawk for even more cushioning however that isn't used unless I'm doing a multiple day tour.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thanks to our friend COVID I've not done any high mileage trips, but I just went for the high m seat to give my knees a bit more room. Not had an issue with it so far. BUT I didn't find the standard m seat that uncomfortable.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thank Porridgewog and Kipperfish. I?ll investigate the air hawk a little more. Might be ideal as it looks like it straps on/off easily so useful for the long days.
The m seats aren?t that comfy in riding jeans, but the additional height is something worth considering - possibly a combo of both ideas! Cheers.

I installed a 20mm gel in my std seat. Probably the easiest I've done. It was on offer on Amazon ?10.99. Still a very relaxed 4-5 hours but because the seat is so flat, you can just cut down to the base, cut the gel to shape where the pan is flat, then put a piece of 3mm self adhesive foam over the top to mask any 'visible pantie lines', then staple the originally cover which is incredibly stretchy back on. An electric stapler helps but possible with a strong manual staple gun. J

IMG_0092.jpegIMG_0093.jpegIMG_0096.jpeg

Last edited:
Even with the most comfortable seat ie above, I still recommend a good pair of lycra GEL cycling shorts under your leathers/jeans. You can do 600 miles in a day then. Well 551 miles door to door from home to the first hotel I stay in, south of Magny Cours. They inexpensive as well. J

Last edited:
Haven't done any lon distance runs. But I had to go for the lower seat option (because I'm short) and haven't had any comfort issues outside of the rubbish roads kicking me out the saddle. And no amount of padding is going to help with that.

I had the stock seat with mine for about 3k miles and it was hard on the family jewels after about an hour's busy riding. I am 6'2 and decided to take a punt on the M Sport high seat (BMW part number 52538406266)
and it transformed my ride in terms of comfort no more sliding into the tank under heavy braking etc, it is a fair bit higher than the stock seat so people with shorter legs would find it a tippytoe experience but they probably wouldn't experience the discomfort of the stock seat so much.

I?m using M high seat it?s a lot more comfortable then the standard M seat, but I?m doing a 10 day trip to Picos de Europa Spain in 7 weeks hopefully it still feels comfortable then

Thanks to all. Some great solutions there - I?ve heard of the cycle shorts one before and it does help somewhat. Will do some more Googling and get it sorted.
Cheers all.

I have a brand new (well ridden on twice for 20 minutes total) that I'd like to sell. Mint like new condition. Was too tall for me. Will sell for $400 including UPS ground shipping in US. Cost was around $570.

Do Sargent make a seat to fit it yet?

Yep, I have it. Massively more comfortable than the m sport seat. Never sat on a standard one to compare. Cost over 300m quid but figured I'd be better off biting the bullet rather than pondering it for ages only to wish I'd done it sooner.

Back