Running In vs Annual Service

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I have had several new BMW bikes over the last few years. Naturally we always try to do the first 5/600 miles asap so that we can unleash the beast after the running in service. I am then used to getting the annual service reminder from the bike 11 months after that, so I can arrange the service before 12 moths are up. Is that what you are all used to?

I've just been told different by my dealer: that the annual service should happen close to the sale anniversary, the running in service should have no effect on things. The owners manual is vague, and doesn't specify what date should be used for the 'annual' service. I've had all my bikes from just two different dealers, and they've both operated the same way.

1. S1000R registered/bought late Dec 20, only got its running service in June 21, cos of winter/covid
- I haven't had any service reminder lights, but they tell me it's technically past due

2. S1000RR registered 7/9/21, will only need its running in service this month - they're suggesting to save me a return trip in September that they do an annual service which only adds changing brake fluid I think...

I think they also said that BMW had noted differing practices in the dealer network and clarified what they expected.

I guess it makes sense for syncing the service and MOT dates, but it's just so different from experience that I thought I'd ask.

Cheers

BMW set my Annual Service date 1 year from the completion date of the Running In check.

My first service was done in early June but my annual service I got done early in February and have done ever since, as I prefer my service done before it?s out at beginning of the year after a long hibernation.

Yes 100 percent my choice, in my eyes there?s no point getting it serviced then a few months later storing it away! Lind collect it in February and drop it off a couple of days later for no fee so even better and more convenient for me

The running in service is just dropping the running in oil and replacing with the regular stuff.

Brake fluid and consumables start from when the bike is delivered new, so makes no sense to run for a year after the running in service, as that would mean things like brake fluid (for example) would be beyond the recommended age for changing (2 years).

I?ve always run my bikes in within a week or two (1 day for the GS) so never noticed any discrepancy.

Back