Ou est la quickshifter?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Rode to work yesterday, 50 miles motorway and city, without problems. On the way home, the quickshifter stopped working after a couple of miles! It did this briefly a few weeks ago but the bike was running particularly hot that day (loads of traffic) but resumed working as I got a move on and I put it down to a glitch.

Have not so much as looked at the bike yet but thought I'd check to see if anyone has had a similar issue. It's a Gen 3 Sport, less than 8k on the clock, original QS

On a side note, have been running in a Tuono V4 for the last couple of weeks and had forgotten how blisteringly fast the BMW picks up speed! :adoration:

Check the clutch lever - make sure you're getting 2 clicks on the microswitches when pulling it in.
May need a cable adjustment or the span adjuster to go out.

Met a chap at Snetterton last week who's QS stopped working because the microswitches fell off...

Interesting new development yesterday. At a a set of traffic lights in Wembley, lights went red, eased clutch out and

nada

Clutch lever stayed firmly in!

Wheeled to the side of the road and managed to push the lever back out (without wheelying across the junction :topsy_turvy: ) but the clutch remained sticky for the whole trip home. It also generated the Fault code L01

Going to call my local garage to have a look at the clutch cable but does anyone know if the fault code is directly related or am I just lucky and picked up a bonus fault?

sounds as though either your cable is chaffing,so sticking,or the clucth arm on the engine case is gunked up or spring on it's way out

Turns out that it was the lever itself sticking. The garage took the pins out (the brake wasn't sticky but hey), cleaned and lubed them and all is well with the world ?. Not sure how they got gooped up (evotech levers, nothing weird) but at least it was an easy fix. Fault code cleared itself so that was nice...

it's not a fault code,you've turned the lap timer on

i'm guessing you've pushed something by accident,but L01 is telling you lap 1 for sure.

Had another interesting clutch-related experience. Parking up at work in Wembley on Wednesday, and couldn't back the bike up as the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. Couldn't put it in neutral so had to kill the engine and change gear that way. The lever felt fine, bit of extra play but not massive (unlike originally when the lever stayed in!).
Managed to do the 50 miles home safely, with the North Circular and even Hanger Lane playing nice, by almost total reliance on the quickshifter! Traffic lights were fun and there was a definite smell of clutch in the air, pulling away in 2nd each time...

So, in the garage yesterday and yes there was too much free play but the rod(?) on top of the clutch case also needed adjusting. Basically, the hotter the clutch got, the more the problem was exacerbated.

Got the mechanic to replace the levers with the OEM ones and have to say everything feels a lot tighter (in a good way). Seems that the Evotech pivot and cable hole centres are slightly different - not sure if this was causing the problem but I'm sure I'll find out soon :uncomfortableness:

So the latest, and hopefully last instalment on this was a real blast from the past. My clutch cable snapped!

Halfway up a steep ramp from an underground car park in Wembley and bang goes the cable. Managed to wiggle the bike into neutral and then spent a happy three hours waiting on a slope (couldn't go forward, couldn't go back) for the breakdown truck to recover me to Oxford. There are a lot of interesting people in the nighttime economy and most of them wandered down my way...

Any way, garage sorted the bike out the next day. The clutch cable had snapped about 10cm in from the engine end and it makes me think that a frayed cable might have caused some of the previous issues? In the meantime, I feel more confident in selling the Evotech levers I'd taken off, thinking they were the problem!

IMG_20221011_194509.jpg IMG_20221011_202006.jpg

Thts really bad luck... Frayed cable could have meant the clutch wasn't disengaging properly. Doubt it was anything to do with the levers but stranger things have happened

Hi Katie,

I had a snapped clutch cable too on another bike.

I use this tool (search eBay for "dual cable lubricator" - they're less than ?7 each) with a silicone based spray to lubricate both my clutch and throttle cables - it will do both the throttle cables at the same time and ensures the lubricant goes down inside the cable sheathing to prevent that chafing that you have experienced. attach the tool across the cable, close up against the exposed cables entrance to the sheathing and attach the silicone spray thin tube applicator to the tool and give it a jolly good spray. Simples. The hardest part is exposing the cables in the first place, measure & make a note of the clutch lever float distance (the slack at the lever before the cable begins to be taut (3-4 mm usually) and the amount of throttle play in the barrel on the hand grip so that you can put them back to where they were before you undid them.

I only do 3000 miles per annum on each of my three bikes but I try and do the lubrication once a year. In fact, I am going down to the garage to do it now on my bikes!

Back