Forged & Cast wheel mix

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys
Last season I bought some forged wheels which I used with slicks. I put wets on the cast wheels.
On a rainy day at Donnington after using the wets it started drying out. I was advised to stick the rear slick in but keep the front wet as it was still quite wet. Seemed to work well and didn't notice any issues.
What I didn't think about at the time was riding with the mix of front cast and rear forged. As I said, didn't notice any issues at the time.
Anyone see this as a problem or whether it could be risky?
Cheers
John

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not an issue. And the advice was sound.

You'll wreck a rear wet in 3 laps on a drying track

Wheels are wheels, as long as they are round you will be fine.

You obviously want to calibrate tire radiuses in RCK if you have an option.

I'd like too add something similar to the mix...

both forged wheels but pirelli slick on rear SC on front???

If you stick to the same make and ultimately it's a high end hyper sport then I think this is OK. I wouldn't pair a touring tyre with a slick if I could help it.

i know loads of people that run pireli front+b/stone rear without issue (or reason nowadays but thats a different story)

i know loads of people that run pireli front+b/stone rear without issue (or reason nowadays but thats a different story)

+1 - I ran Pirelli, Metz and Conti front slicks with V02 rears prior to the V02 fronts changing a couple of years ago....would be happy to do the same again.

Intermediate Tyres

Or you could opt for intermediate race tyres. Metzeler and Pirelli both offer them and they are normally available trackside.

Back