HEL Calipers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally 4 x 32mm pistons would need 19mm bore master cylinder but it depends on what feel you want. I like lots of feel with the minimum of lever movement. 19mm Bore with the 32mm GP4RX is lovely. My mate loves what I would describe as a wooden lever feel. Another mate wants lots of lever travel, so uses a 17mm. So if you go down on M/C bore size you get more lever travel and feel, up in bore size less lever movement and a more wooden feel. Then you get into pads. Lots of initial bite or a softer initial bite. I like softer initial bite so it doesn't upset the bike, then the more I squeeze the lever, the more power I want. Try the std master cylinder first. Only takes bleeding to try it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers Jamie and Badboy.

What diameter is the stock m/c then?

I don?t like a wooden feel, or a lot of lever travel.

Like a decent initial bite with a constant feeling of pressure. If that makes sense - probably described the holy grail of brake feel!

I've got a 17 RCS on my Gen 3 with 32mm Brembo's as recommended but there's too much lever travel for me. Like everything in life, it's personal preference.

Brembo recommend 17 with 30mm pistons ie M50 calipers.

Brembo mid recommendation to suite most people is 4 x 32mm pistons x two calipers is a 19MM M/C, 4 x 30mm pistons x two calipers is a 17MM M/C.

I use the rear brake alot. Twin 32mm pistons with 2mm bigger M?C is lovely but the std Brembo is 13mm and the biggest I've found is 14mm. A worthwhile gain but not perfect. My Ducati was 11mm std, went to 13mm... bloody lovely.

Hope that helps, J

Last edited:
Gen1 M/C is designed for use with 32mm pistons.
An Accossato 19x18 would be a nice upgrade though :)

Yep, nice stuff but I do like the RCS Corsa with the adjustable pivot point to adjust feel and clearance adjuster to get rid of that initial play.But I'm not a brand whore. I buy what's good. Hel, do some lovely billet calipers compared to Brembo's for the same money.

Every S1000RR came with 19mm, until the Nissin brakes on the M1000RR and subsequently the 2022+ black Nissins which are 17mm.

Back