movement on sprocket carrier

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabbytot10@

Reaction score
Cleaning my chain today I noticed play back and forward on the sprocket carrier and the wheel which would say to me the Cush drive rubber where knackered , the bike has only done 500 miles is this movement ok .

If theres a couple of mm play, its absolutely fine. A bike with 500 miles on the rear wheel won't have shot cush drive rubbers. My Gen 3 with less than 5k in the clock has an acceptable 2/3mm rotational play. To hold the CDRs in the sprocket carrier for wheel install, I bought the lse spacers from L74 which also take up the slack:

https://www.l74.co.uk/product/bmw-s1000rr-crush-driver-spacer/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cush Drive Rubbers

Cleaning my chain today I noticed play back and forward on the sprocket carrier and the wheel which would say to me the Cush drive rubber where knackered , the bike has only done 500 miles is this movement ok .

They should be absolutely fine with such low mileage and there is generally a small amount of play in the sprocket carrier. If your that concerned just take the rear wheel out and check them.

I think I have around 4mm / 5 mm this does not seem right . I am booking it for its first service tomorrow son they can sort it . unless its designed to be like this it can't be good for the parts as you come on and off the throttle .

how do those fit? couldn't make it out from the video?
If theres a couple of mm play, its absolutely fine. A bike with 500 miles on the rear wheel won't have shot cush drive rubbers. My Gen 3 with less than 5k in the clock has an acceptable 2/3mm rotational play. To hold the CDRs in the sprocket carrier for wheel install, I bought the lse spacers from L74 which also take up the slack:

https://www.l74.co.uk/product/bmw-s1000rr-crush-driver-spacer/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike booked in , I spoke to the service team and they think this could be within tolerance and not to compare to a jap bike , lets see what they think once they have the bike

Get an old mountain bike inner tube. Remove sprocket carrier. Cut about 1inch to 1 1/2 inch length of inner tube and stretch over the carrier hub prongs. The bits that fit into the Cush drives. A bit of silicone spray helps to fit and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first Gen 4 had about 4-5mm of play or slop. The cush drive was completely worn and it was changed under warranty. (7k at the time)

According to Oxford there were few naff batches of Cush drives, but i have no idea if that is true.

Thought the ring cush drives were a much better idea, never had to change mine
I think their actually worse than the normal style chunkier cush drive types, theres not much too them in that sense

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Opposite Keith, their just basic rubber hoops and always feel as they have too much give, mind you they're piss easy to swap out.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

just fitted a set of shims, slop all gone driveline seems smoother. all ok once i was told to bend the shims over the wheel vanes!

Back