Lithium battery vs lead acid

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northernsoul65

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
bike is Gen 3 2018.
I swapped out the oem lead acid for a Skyrich Lithium Ion Battery mid season las year. All seemed well for rest of season. Then at Almeria in Oct bike wouldn't start the beginning of one session. Turned over but didn't bite. Chap put a booster pack on and it fired up. No further issues for rest of hols.
Bike has been in garage since beginning November and on trickle charge (optimate duo charger). Started recently and had the same very lazy tick over issue before engine finally fired up. I've now stuck the lead acid back in thinking that issue is with the lithium somehow (although the test lights on the battery itself show it as full).
Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated.
Bike is also under a used warranty from bmw so could get them to take a look if it's something other than the battery.
Back to Almeria in April so i'll keep starting up regularly before then and see what happens.
thanks in advance
john

they do take a bit of cranking power when not started for while, and lithium batteries need a little wake up if been stood for a while.you sure you have the correct size/cca (cranking amps)?

they do take a bit of cranking power when not started for while, and lithium batteries need a little wake up if been stood for a while.you sure you have the correct size/cca (cranking amps)?
ah now, that's a question I never asked when getting the lithium battery. Any ideas on what would be the correct cranking amps for the bike?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tbh the lithiums are usually good for the the size of them so if it's same size as preivous (yt 10/12)then it should be ok,what size is it?

giving a little wake up prior to starting helps though especially if it's cold

tbh the lithiums are usually good for the the size of them so if it's same size as preivous (yt 10/12)then it should be ok,what size is it?

giving a little wake up prior to starting helps though especially if it's cold
SKYRICH HJTZ7S-FP-SWI LITHIUM BATTERY

this is the one I bought

The 10S is a better size, far more CCA and Ah.
The weight differences is negligable too.

6Ah and 150cca is soon exhausted.

Saying that, you should multimeter the battery when the bike is running to confirm the bike is charging it. 14.7V...
f686181645654f211064922c19b09a6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Saying that, you should multimeter the battery when the bike is running to confirm the bike is charging it. 14.7V...

thanks Alex.
I did test with a multimeter when running and it was charging OK but I take your point about that size of battery.

any other brands and/or size of lithium battery you'd recommend?

If the battery hasn't been used in a while give it one quick stab of the starter and turn the bike off and leave it for 5 minutes. It will start like the bike with charge overnight then. Lithium life

tbh yt7 should be ok if it's just a track bike,it's all i've used for the last 15 yrs or so,only real issue was with the blades,but they are very very sluggish to start as it is

yes,i'm assuming as yours is coded the same,it's the same size/rating

Back