My S1000RR Sport 2016

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shy231_

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
MY S1000RR Sport 2016

Picked up my 2016 in early January this year, plan is to use this on trackdays & the odd sunny weekend that we might get. I already booked Portimao before I had the bike so needed to get sorted asap for 2022 season.

My previous most powerful bike was a Street triple R so this will be a massive jump up in all aspects. I wont be riding it until march so for now its tucked up in the garage under covers. Will spend now until then to get it how I want and do any little preventative maintenance jobs I can.

I was originally torn between the R1 of similar year and this. Ended up going for the BMW as I feel its much better equipped and most likely far more comfortable to live with.

Travelled about 500 mi round trip to collect a great example with only 3k miles on it. Also had HP wheels which was a deal breaker for me & came with a heap of other extras added into the mix which ill try to cover all below.

BMW HP Wheels
BMW HP Rear sets
BMW HP Levers

Brembo HPK discs

Power Commander 5
Power Commander Secondary Fuelling module
Power Commander Autotune kit
K&N Air filter
SC Projects Conical Slip on
Cat eliminator pipes
Ognibene -1 countershaft sprocket

Radiator & Oil cooler guards
Engine case protectors
R&G frame sliders
R&G fork protectors
R&G swingarm bobbins
R&G pillion peg block off plates
R&G bar end
Stompgrips
Puig race screen

As said earlier have booked Portimao for May 6-8th so cant wait for that.

Also have Brands Indy for the end of March as a break in to get accustomed to how the bike is on track. (Im quite nervous at how ill adapt)

Scary 250mi home :cower:

Bike is quite dirty atm as dealer left it outside in rain when i came to collect. Will be detailing it at some weekend soon with a bit of sun. Also ordered some bits to fit which ill update with later.

Lovely looking bike and super clean! I was once in a similar position to you, jumped from a Daytona 675 to a Gen 3. The weight was the biggest thing i noticed but honestly after a few sessions the bike felt super comfortable....not going to lie took me a while to fully commit to pinning the through though haha.

Enjoy dude!

Lovely looking bike and super clean! I was once in a similar position to you, jumped from a Daytona 675 to a Gen 3. The weight was the biggest thing i noticed but honestly after a few sessions the bike felt super comfortable....not going to lie took me a while to fully commit to pinning the through though haha.

Enjoy dude!

Thanks mate, it actually looks to dirty to my eye. The rain marks are really annoying me lol.
I use a sv650s as a work donkey which is probably the same or a very small amount heavier so I should feel fine on that.

My street triple was a 13 without the option for ABS. So the BMW will be a full fleet of electronics I need to get used too. Been told you can take liberties with the throttle and DTC but will tread with caution anyway.

The electronics do make going fast feel slow. And those HP wheels will make it feel like you're riding a ball with all the mass in the middle. Just give yourself time and you'll be fine.

The electronics do make going fast feel slow. And those HP wheels will make it feel like you're riding a ball with all the mass in the middle. Just give yourself time and you'll be fine.

That's very encouraging to here.

I changed a mates chain & sprocket on a gen 2 the other day. I was shocked as I felt as though the rear wheel on that felt so light.

Can't imagine what the HP wheels will feel like in hand & to ride lol

Update

Managed to get hold of a OEM muffler. It looks brand new, not sure its even been run with a bike. Perhaps came of a race-bike conversion.

Fitted that up to see how it faired with noise....seemed quite loud still so bit worried it wont pass the noise testing at Brands Hatch (mines decatted too). I have a full day booked for the end of March. I will ride up & get it tested before hand to make sure. Its a fair bit heavier than the SC projects so its only staying on for the tracks with noise police :courage:

BMW HP Race cover kit

Dont ask how much the badge was on its own lol....comes with mirror & front indicator blanks too. I've not fitted these just yet as think I'll be needing them for the road haha.

Oh BTW screws are extra too! Thanks BMW

GB Racing Clutch cover

Bike already has some metal engine case sliders fitted but nothing on clutch cover. Figured I'd go with GB racing. May end up replacing the others to match at some point. If anyone knows what brand the others might be let me know please!

Coolant check for piece of mind. I will replace end of this season just as general maintenance.

Finally got around to getting it cleaned in the sun today. First time really seeing it in the sun today! Very happy to say the least.

Slightly annoyed with the Wheel cleaner I bought. Its not cheap stuff but it leaved milky stains on the HP wheels. Luckily got it off with some other wheel cleaner. Did panic a for a bit though.

Before

During

Which of the wheel cleaners worked?

The bigger supersport discs are great, love mine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Which of the wheel cleaners worked?

The bigger supersport discs are great, love mine.

This is what left the milky stains on the HP wheels

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-bilberry-wheel-cleaner

I ended up getting it off with some cheap halfords turtle wax wheel cleaner i found in the garage lol

How did you find the power RS on track btw mate, I think im sure i saw on your thread you used those at one point.

[emoji106] some say wd40 is the best way to clean them! Such an awful finish to clean.

Wouldn't recommend Michelin on track. I suffered cold tear despite using the minimum pressure.

Metzeler K3's are hard to beat for road and track.

Last edited:
[emoji106] some say wd40 is the best way to clean them! Such an awful finish to clean.

Wouldn't recommend Michelin on track. I suffered cold tear despite using the minimum pressure.

Metzeler K3's are hard to beat for road and track.

Yikes.....Okay, well they have come with the bike and are virtually new. Might just abuse them a little and change lol.

Will defo be using them for Brands at the end of march though.

What pressure did you run hot with these?

& as for the HP wheels yep I've also heard them being nightmare, also easily scratched :(

Going to have to really look after them. Especially when handing over to tyre fitters lol

I used the RS's not RS+'s. And I didn't use warmers. Corum at Snetterton is incredibly hard on one side. 27psi cold. So if using warmers I would do 28psi rear hot. 32 front.

Last edited:
Re: My S1000RR Sport 2016 - Pic heavy SC's & Baltic trackday

Some updates....

Noticed that the top yoke nut had a crack in it. Some internet searching and it seems quite common. Could feel the bike wonder right on acceleration too so changed that to a new Gilles one. Also re-torqued head bearings at the same time.

Seems to of sorted that issue.

Few snaps on a test ride to a mates.

Had the suspension sag set up for me by a guy i've used before. He said that id probably need softer springs in the front although for now I think its staying as is. Prefer to get seat time in first.

I also decided to go with some more stickier rubber so took a trip to Rod harwin on a day he was at Brands Hatch & got myself some new Supercorsa SC V3's.

Tyres fitted up I gave it a quick clean before my first trackday on it in a weeks time at Brands.

Had a weekend ride out with a pal after this too on a new 22 R1. Had some cheeky pulls in on some open road and the BMW did not dissapoint. Although in its defence it was fully stock.

The day I had been looking foward to the most came although didnt go as expected.

It was heavy snow in the morining and 2-5*C at best all day. I had zero confidence in the grip and wasnt very quick at all.

I did however uncover a few things that I would like to change before the next track event & that is that the rearsets where at a completely unsuitable postion for myself & I needed GP shift. I really couldnt get to the lever leaned over, particularly coming out of clearways.

Worth mentioning to the bike passed noise test on this morning at 99dB. Rain mode

Decat, stock header, no butterfly & stock muffler. I went a few days prior and it blew 100.9dB

Few pics from the day below.

Back