Aftermarket steering damper

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porridgewog

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone bought an aftermarket steering damper for the gen 4? If so was it worth the change?

I had an ohlins on my gen 1+2 which was much better than the standard one.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Aftermarket Steering Damper

I have an Ohlins damper (SD 064) fitted on my Gen 4 and it?s infinitely better than the standard OEM one.

How are they better? I don't get what they do differently. Whats the change? And I don't mean that 'each click does something' change. I mean what is the actual benefit to a 'better' one?

Not had the chance to try one so I don't understand them fully.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep, anything adjustable makes a big difference. The OE one is too stiff for me even on a lightest setting. It makes the steering feel dead and heavy IMHO. J

Last edited:
Here is an alternative steering damper that I've read on other forums that people like: https://hyperpro.com/steering-dampers/
Note the RSC version is supposed to be variable in that it dynamically adjusts how stiff it is depending on the demands placed on it.
I've never used one but people on s1000r liked it.

Yes its not just Ohlins.
Matris, Bitubo also supply (or did for the K46 )

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I increased the damping on my oem and it makes it quite tough to move the bars at a standstill but feels better on the move. I'm hoping an Ohlins will be more subtle on slower speeds but stiff at higher speeds.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Back