First road bike off

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez dude that is a nasty one! And that is going to be some war wound! Heal up fast!

I still say he should have landed on his head...would've done less damage

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Geez sorry to hear of the off Oli, but you?re on the mend now so that?s good. All the best for the recovery?back in the saddle in no time flat one hopes!

Thanks again for all the support guys, these sorts of threads are always a testament to this forum!

Had my first post op fracture clinic appointment yesterday, with Prof. Johnstone (the surgeon). He?s pleased with the repair (there?s no rough edges, nice and smooth) and where I?m at at this stage. If you look closely, you?ll see that the large bone fragment towards the edge of my shoulder blade has been left alone. Intuitively, you?d think given how big the exposure was surely that would be fixed too, but he explained that in order to do that he?d have to dissect a lot of my lat muscle and in his opinion that fragment won?t cause any issues so best just to leave it be.
He did however say how important it is that I remain careful with the shoulder for another month before trying to do rehab stuff, because he had to detach two of my four rotator cuff muscles to attach that plate. As I say in the OP, rotator cuff repairs are usually an operation on their own, and usually for one muscle. I asked if the stitches failed and it needed revising, could it be done arthroscopically (key hole), to which he replied in no uncertain terms, absolutely not, it would require the same open repair I?ve just had and that he wouldn?t consider arthroscopy in this case. For perspective, he was the guy who brought arthroscopic shoulder surgery to Aberdeen in the 90?s, so it?s an authoritative answer. Does serve well to make me feel ?patient? at this stage, as to say I?d like to avoid having to have that lot all reopened again is an understatement lol.

I?m going back to fracture clinic in a month for another X-ray. If all is well, then I ?might? be able to start getting the ball rolling with physio.
For anyone who has had fractures before, you?ll know how soul destroying it is when you see how much mobility and strength is lost in such a short space of time. My right shoulder feels bony (skinny) and as if it?s lost 90 % of the support. Literally all the ?activities of daily living? as it?s referred to in Medicine are a challenge. Just staggering in such little time. But, then again, once physio starts, it?s onwards an upwards [emoji1320]

Will probably update again at the start of physio to serve as a bit of rehab log.

Thanks again everyone!

Oli

48bf71924dae3801068419ea17effa01.jpg

Another step closer to becoming Wolverine [emoji2957]

Last edited:
Take it one step at a time in your recovery/rehab. More haste less speed!

Very true Rob.

Oli, you interpreted my response as that things were not going well, things are going as well as they can, it's just going to take a long time. In my case I have two large pieces of metal holding my humerus in place (it snapped off at both ends), one of which is expected to interfere with the operation of the shoulder. When they give you physio you just need to smash a hole in your day to give you time to do whatever they recommend. I hope the physio service up in Scotland is faster than London, doc wanted me on it after 6 weeks. It's 4 months since my accident and they phoned me... on Tuesday- this week. I gave up on them a long time ago and have been getting private physio since December.

The only thing I had go wrong was a big issue sleeping, for which my GP gave me strong anti-inflammatory pain killers... which, it turns out, really inhibit the bone healing process. That meant that my first follow up x-rays did not look good - consultant thought I had to be a 60 a day smoker to look that bad! Oh, and then I stopped the codeine pills cos I didn't think they were doing me any good and I went into opiate withdrawal - I started feeling so bad that I thought I had finally caught covid. I'll have a different reaction to Trainspotting when i next see it, lol.

The most positive thing is that my physio has already proved that we have beaten the consultant's expectations for raising my arm, and we expect more. We are still working on that arse scratching problem I mentioned, starting to see some progress. It's good to scratch!!

Yes, com on, update lol ! When I had my diaphragm repaired and with all my broken ribs and collarbone on the right side they wouldn't discharge me until I could cough. . F.me, that was some challenge lol.

Haha sorry for the delay in updating guys!

All positive at this stage, the 6 week X-rays show that the socket is actively healing, but there?s still a clear gap in the two pieces of bone so it?s not fully sealed up yet. Apparently fractures that go through a joint take longer than ones that don?t, but the surgeon is confident by the next checkup it?ll be all good.

Interestingly, that fractured bit of bone on the edge of the shoulder blade, that was left alone, has actually seemed to move a bit closer back to where it ought to be and appears to be reattaching in a manner of speaking. It?s definitely not going to look normal, but with a bit of luck it?ll end up fixed in place a little nearer to where it?s meant to be than initially after the crash and operation.

At this point I?m allowed to actively move the shoulder in nearly all directions and allowed to start really stretching things.
I still can?t do resistance work yet as the repairer rotator cuff tendons are likely only about 30% of their normal strength, so still have to be a bit careful for another few weeks or so. They?ll never get as strong as before, but assuming nothing goes ping will be good enough to do weight training, riding etc.

Next checkup is in about 7 weeks time, so will update again then hopefully with a final X-ray!

Rehab wise, it?s going well I think, I?ve been trying to get some movement back in the shoulder as much as possible the last couple of weeks. Will post some photos later to show the range of motion I currently have

Yes, com on, update lol ! When I had my diaphragm repaired and with all my broken ribs and collarbone on the right side they wouldn't discharge me until I could cough. . F.me, that was some challenge lol.

Oh crikey I can imagine, that must have been horrendous! [emoji32]

Haha sorry for the delay in updating guys!

All positive at this stage, the 6 week X-rays show that the socket is actively healing, but there?s still a clear gap in the two pieces of bone so it?s not fully sealed up yet. Apparently fractures that go through a joint take longer than ones that don?t, but the surgeon is confident by the next checkup it?ll be all good.

Interestingly, that fractured bit of bone on the edge of the shoulder blade, that was left alone, has actually seemed to move a bit closer back to where it ought to be and appears to be reattaching in a manner of speaking. It?s definitely not going to look normal, but with a bit of luck it?ll end up fixed in place a little nearer to where it?s meant to be than initially after the crash and operation.

At this point I?m allowed to actively move the shoulder in nearly all directions and allowed to start really stretching things.
I still can?t do resistance work yet as the repairer rotator cuff tendons are likely only about 30% of their normal strength, so still have to be a bit careful for another few weeks or so. They?ll never get as strong as before, but assuming nothing goes ping will be good enough to do weight training, riding etc.

Next checkup is in about 7 weeks time, so will update again then hopefully with a final X-ray!

Rehab wise, it?s going well I think, I?ve been trying to get some movement back in the shoulder as much as possible the last couple of weeks. Will post some photos later to show the range of motion I currently have

It's amazing how much we take movement for granted until we can't. Scapular was part of my accident which took the longest to heal as it forms functions of other parts.
Slowly slowly catchee monkey buddy, know how you feel....

I had compound fractures of both my Humorous bones at the same time with loads of other bones broken. Air Ambulance job from the British Championship round. The local hospital wanted to plate both arms and signed me off for a minimum of 7 months, but my local hospital had Gordon Hadfield a world renowned surgeon on F1, GP drivers/riders. He even had a ward dedicated to racers. Top guy.

He cut my plasters off and put my arms in slings and got me to sit/sleep upright 24/7. I literally could fold both my rams in half ie 4 elbows which even turned the stomachs of various racers who visited me. I was doing push ups in 4 weeks. The more the bone moves the quicker it heals. We didn't have plaster of Paris for a 100,000 years, so it makes sense. J

Been in plaster many times. The very first time They told me its doesn't help the healing process, but is put on as a hindrance to avoid using your limb too much.

Yup. I haven't been able to do much since my off in October and one of my fractures wasn't healing much. Docs were talking about removing one of the plates they put on and fixing the bone, but x-ray last week is finally showing signs of repair, all because I've been able to use the arm more... primary exercise has been mowing the lawn and increasingly robust ride outs, hope to get into gym soon. Ankle consultant in 3 weeks to see about walking properly...

Yep, I was lucky in ?91 to have Gordon Hadfield in my local hospital in St.Peter?s, Chertsey. We all think that things have moved on so much but in Orthopaedic surgery, it?s still what you see in Napoleon/Nelson war surgeries. Hacksaws, Drills, Bolts, Plates and guess work.

Back