Cost of ECU flash

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FAF

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
On another matter seeking anyone's thoughts?

I?ve trawled through past streams, but there?s nothing very recent on the cost of ecu flashes. I spoke with Hicky at the NEC bikeshow in December and he quoted ?650 for a flash (with a charge of ?150 to re-install if it ever got wiped). He said PHR performance were only one of two outlets in the UK which he would trust with his bike and to be careful of using cheaper tuners. I then contacted Phil Crowe (who has been recommended to me on this forum), and he said exactly the same about cheaper tuners (he quoted ?750!). Neither would be drawn on what they offer over and above ?cheaper? guys.

I?ve just replaced the whole exhaust system with an akra SS, and RaceFit stubby - I?m not into racing the bike, just fast road and occasional track day, but I do want it all reasonably well set up. So what do people reckon. Crowe is just round the corner (Cannock), but is it worth ?750? It quite shocked me as I was expecting around ?300. Any other good tuners in Midlands? Anyone used Road and Race Performance (near Coventry) or BHP-UK ??

Appreciate any thoughts

?650-?750 is about the normal price for a full Gen 4 ECU flash and to do it properly takes a full day. Both PHR and Crowe Performance have BSB pedigree so you are also paying for a significant amount of knowledge and experience. Before going to the expense you may just want to have a Dyno run to check the fuelling as it may not be necessary as the Gen 4?s ECU automatically adjusts to a point.

A word of caution though if you are considering the odd trackday with that setup you may very well struggle with static noise testing. For comparison my Akrapovic system registers 101-102 dB (with baffle) and with the shorter BSB Kit exhaust it runs 105-107 dB. The Gen 4 is loud with a full system.

Is part of the cost with them the BMW ECU unlock code?

I think its steep but I agree that quality costs. Ideally get a map from someone that works for BSB superstock. Rouse won on Crowe's bike.

Does Hickman still work with PCR? Paul Curran? In Cannock. I think he was used by Smiths. Might be worth a quote from him. Not sure if PHR & PCR have a deal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Personally I will be getting RS2E.DE to map mine again.

Is part of the cost with them the BMW ECU unlock code?

I think its steep but I agree that quality costs. Ideally get a map from someone that works for BSB superstock. Rouse won on Crowe's bike.

Does Hickman still work with PCR? Paul Curran? In Cannock. I think he was used by Smiths. Might be worth a quote from him. Not sure if PHR & PCR have a deal.

The only 'unlock code' for the Gen 4 is the activation code for the 2D M GPS/Datalogger Set and it won't work without it. That's it as the MRCK is a standalone kit with its own ECU.

PCR and PHR are completely separate entities.

The only 'unlock code' for the Gen 4 is the activation code for the 2D M GPS/Datalogger Set and it won't work without it. That's it as the MRCK is a standalone kit with its own ECU.

PCR and PHR are completely separate entities.
They are separate but Pete was at Smiths where he was the tuner...

I know mine's a Gen 3 but I recently had mine flashed by Crowe Performance after fitting a full system - he unlocks the ECU himself and you can use the RCK3 software going forward. The ?750 included dyno time to sort the fueling etc. You also have all the other adjustments carried out including audible traction control as part of the cost.

A PCV and custom map would be circa ?600 so ?750 seemed vfm when you take into account everything else you have.

Apologies for possible newb question but why isn't a Brentune being discussed here as an option? And .. does a Brentune require a tune after install since it has the user operated handheld device?

Apologies for possible newb question but why isn't a Brentune being discussed here as an option? And .. does a Brentune require a tune after install since it has the user operated handheld device?

Cost alot more than others. Bar America where its pushed very aggressively on FB and forums its not used in any racing series i know.

Eg bsb, irish masters/road racing,

Back