Exhaust Servo Issues?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calum MacDonald

Reaction score
Hi all,

In short, has anyone had issues with their exhaust servos? Details below if interested...

I am in the middle of diagnosing and hopefully fixing an issue to do with the servos of the two exhaust valves - the balance pipe valve in the headers (valve n.8 and the servo n.6 in the diagram below) and the flow control valve in the end pipe (valve n.5 and the servo n.3 in the diagram below). It is a 2010 S1000RR K46.

I noticed that when I turn the ignition on, the servo for the balance pipe valve (located behind the front left fairing) makes loud, intermittent and continuous clicking noise (like a relay tripping). The Haynes manual suggests to check that the servo pulley can be rotated by hand. I cannot do this, so my thinking is that the servo has failed mechanically (the valve can be operated by hand when pulling on the cable). So it seems the ECU is telling the servo to actuate the valve, but something mechanical inside the sealed servo unit is stopping it and causing this loud clicking noise.

While I was on the topic, I figured that I should check the second valve (in the exhaust end pipe) and servo (under the fuel tank). The Haynes manual suggests that the valve should be in the open position by default and it will cycle to the closed position and open again when you turn on the ignition. After removing the muffler I see that the valve is in the closed position. I turn the ignition on and nothing happens. After taking the fuel tank off, I remove the two cable ends from the servo pulley and the valve opens to its default position (picture below). So it seems the servo was stuck in the activated position. As before, I try to manually operate the pulley on the servo and it does not rotate suggesting it is also broken (the valve can be moved by pulling the cables manually).

It seems odd to me that both of these servos have broken (picture below). I had a (relatively light crash) at the track last year which I guess could have caused this.

Anyway, I have ordered a gs-911 to fully diagnose the issue and understand what's going on within the ECU (it's a useful tool to have by all accounts also).

Since I have owned the bike I have had the issue with the engine cutting out when idling (many lengthy conversations on this topic within other parts of the forum). I have never properly attempted to solve the problem, but I hope, if it isn't related to the incorrect operation of the exhaust valves, then the gs-911 will help me check all the other control systems to diagnose this as well.

Has anyone else had issues with these servos?

Any thoughts are welcome...

Thanks in advance!

Calum.

As above anyone having issues with the servos just deletes them or disconnects them so they are open.

The butterfly valve on the cylinder balancer is a common failure and on a 2010 bike highly likely.

The GS911 should allow a reset of the servos...not much else to do with them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

HP has the right idea if you've a healthy bank account.. full system and remove servos..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back