Trickle charging gen4 lithium

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Squarekins

Reaction score
Hi all.

I need to buy a lithium charger for my new gen but need some advice please.

The official motorrad one does not appear to include an opimate type short cable to wire on the bike.

How does the official charger connect to the bike? I don't want to be removing the seat all the time.

Thanks,
Chris

The Bmw one only comes with the Din connector and then a set of crocodile clips with the din connector, so its the seat off every time.

I purchased a waterproof din socket and made up a small loom so the socket is now under the rear seat.

I bought the CTEK after my battery died soon after delivery. Curiously, the emergency services guy that came to get my battery back to life (trickle charge alone couldn't), he said that BMW recommended the CTEK, and that some of their cars are equipped with it, not the BMW one....mmm

What I can say for sure is that the ctek extension cable permanently attached to the bike isn't quite long enough. Works OK in Gen2/3 bikes, but more of a faff in the Gen4

I bought Noco genius 1
th
Croc clips undo leaving eyelets to connect to battery. Perfect!

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...oco-genius1-1-amp-battery-charger-230262.html

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks. I don't have my new bike yet, got to wait a week, but glad I didn't blindly buy the official one then.

I'll take a look at these. Cheers.

Lithium is Lithium...if the charger is rated for it there should be no issue and no need to by one from the manufacturer.

I like the bmw one as it has a digital display and gives me percentage of charge on the battery. I just soldered an optimate lead on to it and it sits under the seat cowl. I have the noco genius 4 for my car, does the job but doesn?t give me a lot of info on the state of the battery.

I've a Noco 1amp, perfect for maintaining over winter.... bought an extra set of fly leads for my HP4.. easy to unplug and switch between bikes.

I think ive a spare set of Noco Croc clips if you want them.
cf64a62489c5b2b79c7e1428645ff352.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Do not buy the Oxford Oximiser 3X. The reason being that if the battery gets quite discharged then it goes into a voltage protection mode which appears to be some kind of hibernation state. This mean the Oxford won't be able to charge it and just remains in standby mode as it can't detect a battery connection (or so I understand)

The Ctek can "waken" the battery back up with a button press, a feature the Oxford doesn't have, and it'll then charge fine.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

)
The Ctek can "waken" the battery back up with a button press, a feature the Oxford doesn't have, and it'll then charge fine.

My experience suggests that the correct phrasing is that the CTEK can - in theory - waken it. It definitely has the feature it just didn't work for me. I had to get get BMW to come and bring the battery back to life...

I bought the BMW one from a BMW dealer on Ebay heavily discounted and made a little loom up with the correct female connector and mounted it under the seat using the USB socket mounting point. I just pop the seat cowl off and connect when the bike is home.
As an aside some of the new batteries fitted to cars shut down at a certain voltage and will not charge unless they are switched back on with exactly the right voltage only then can they be charged.

Back