Gen 4 track advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ste M

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Ive had my gen 4 from new 2 years in March. I did my first track day on it last year at Oulton and loved it so this year I'm planning on some more. I want to do Oulton again, Donny [did a track day years ago here with Ron Haslem] and also Anglesey.

I now have a van Im going to be able to use to transport the bike and gear to and from the track so my next question is where do i satrt with mods to the bike? Whats a neccesity and whats a nice mod?

I currently have the gb protection on except the crash bungs simply because i here different tales about this. My bike is also used ot commute a fair bit and also the odd long tour of the likes of Scotland but I still want to make it better for tracks.

So where do i start? Any advice on better protection? Brakes? Sprockets and chain? Im also unsure of suspension ie do i get it set up at the track as I do have the electronic suspension on mine so unsure what I will gain?

Im newish to bikes, only been riding 9 years so im not totally savvy with all the speak and the likes. I am a mechanical man by trade though so not worried about doing my own work, in fact I like it as you then learn how the bike works

Thanks
Ste

I gather you need it to stay road legal...and noting you'll use a van.

Engine protection (like you have) and radiator guards

Wheels/Tyres consider buying a set specifically for the track. Taking the road wheels with you as spares/wets. On your track wheels you can fit slicks...or just hypersports but you have choices now. Tyre warmers. Front and rear paddock stands. Extension lead to plug them in and/or generator to run them.

Brakes. Good fluid. Good pads.

Get the controls/suspension setup.

Ride.

Not much more is needed when its a road bike on track.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex. Yes sorry I've got paddock stands as well.

I'll look into spare wheels. I've taken the rear off before but never the front is that easy? Do I need a special tool or anything?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

61+f4CeINiL._AC_SS130_.jpg
You'll need one of these for sure for the spindle, torx for spindle clamp (just one side! ) 13mm socket for caliper removal and a mini torx socket when you change the pads.

Torque wrench is a must. Nylon hammer too.

Ebay, 24mm hex something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BGS-24-m...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 socket

If you are going to swap wheels often I would swap to Titanium pinch bolts, caliper bolts.

Swapping the front.
Loosen the pinch bolts throttle side only.
Calipers next, 2 bolts each side, fully remove, slide the calipers off the disc and ideally tie them out of the way using a wire hanger or strap.
24mm axle hex. Undo with a breaker bar or similar. Spin the axle out and you can take the wheel off. Simple.
Reverse to refit.

Rear is actually harder.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Gen 4 Track Advice

If you?ve only ever done one trackday before don?t bother going to all the expense of spare wheels etc etc etc. Just get the suspension set up and spend the money on track time. You would also likely benefit from the free tuition that?s available on the day. The shiny stuff can come later.

It's not so much the shiny stuff it's more about what will make it better. Just a starter kit if that makes sense. What's the first mods to make or the must do mods

Gen 4 Track Advice

It's not so much the shiny stuff it's more about what will make it better. Just a starter kit if that makes sense. What's the first mods to make or the must do mods.

Just get the suspension sorted first and foremost. The Gen 4 out of the box is exceptionally good.

Hi Ste, I would suggest frame sliders (I got lighttech), axle bobbins and for me I found a homemade seat bump behind my bum helped a lot. Good road tyres (rs11 & m9rr) at correct pressure and warmed up fully are more than good enough upto mid fast group imo. Also I found the bike in dynamic mode to be enjoyable, only needed to tinker with race pro when a definite tc intervention was hampering things. Also a rug to work on if needs be & a comfy chair! Comfort on the bike and somewhere to relax between sessions are a must for me. Enjoy mate!

Frame sliders. I've heard mixed reviews as some say they save the bodywork others say they can cause the bike to flip

Crash Protection

Frame sliders. I've heard mixed reviews as some say they save the bodywork others say they can cause the bike to flip.

To be fair every crash on track is different. Crash protectors will generally only protect the frame which is the important part. If you do lob it at the scenery expect the fairings to be scratched at best or collected up by the Marshalls and placed in the skip at the very worst!

GB bullet sliders are good,stick out just enough to protect the bike,but not so far that they dig in and flip bike,rearsets do a good enough job of that.

Track days on a big modern 4 stroke. Decent set of tyres, tyre gauge and pack your talent. Jerry can full of E5 as circuit fuel can be a bit pricey/stale. Proper food/water and a chair
Once you are outriding the standard bike, your sticky tyres and can outride the electronics, you can move on to improving the bike and probably get a contract riding in BSB.
My R1 & HP4 I don't even take the mirrors, indicators or number plate off. Makes for good Gppro mounting points.

Tyre warmers are a good investment. Not essential, but without them you need to discipline yourself take it easy on the first couple of laps until tyres get to temperature, particularly in UK.

Last edited:
For tyre warmers to be affective though I'll meed slicks or at least track tyres won't I?

Any idea on best place to get a spare set of wheels from please

No you dont need slicks. Tyre warmers will improve grip with road-legal hypersport tyres.
For spare wheels try E-bay, also racing teams who build race bikes from factory road bikes.

For tyre warmers to be affective though I'll meed slicks or at least track tyres won't I?

Any idea on best place to get a spare set of wheels from please

Tyre warmers on road or track rubber would save you 2-3 laps per session warming tyres up , 7 sessions a day = possible 21 laps wasted....

Last edited:
Pretty much echo what everyone else says. You don't need to go balls out on the Gen 4, out of the box is more than capable than any of us mortals.

But you can help protect the bike in case of any mishaps. Engine case protection (GB Racing) i personally think is a must, secondary is axle sliders and frame protection. Frame sliders, differing opinions here and you could read 100 threads/forums and never get an answer. I personally have had GB racing and now waiting on some Alpha racing which seems to have a nice low profile.

Change your brake fluid before the season (Is a must) and check your pad life. Fluid, stock is fine but a higher performing fluid is always a good option. Go for Motul RBF660 or Castrol SRF Racing Get someone to setup your suspension for your weight at least, sag should be a minimum and this can be done with a friend at home.

You really do not need spare wheels or slicks for occasional track days. Good hypersport tyres are more than adequate if you're doing a handful of days a year. Warmers are not a must but i'd say get them, as bananaman mentioned they save a several warm up laps. Plus they will help increase longevity in tyres as they help avoid going through heat cycles.

And grab an instructor....i love a lesson and if you get a good instructor and learn something from them, it's worth more than anything else IMO.

If using hyper sport tyres (RS11 / Super Corsa / Metzeler K3's) you don't want to overheat them. Because they warm up faster than slicks 60degC is ample. I use Digital Diamond Warmers as I can adjust the temp to suit the tyre being warmed, they also only use a single 13amp socket which can be very helpful in a crowded garage!

Back