Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 track advice

Riding
    S1000rr sport red

Re: Gen 4 track advice

Yes lwb crew. And yes the bulkhead can be removed. It's in two parts as well so top and bottom. Made up with it though. Ticks all the boxes and more

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(referencing race tires or no, i made mess of quoting)

Ohh ya there corners iv lost the front or rear and caught it. If that was road tire id be on my ass
    Last edited by Corkgsxr; 12th January 2022 at 11:35 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corkgsxr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corkgsxr View Post
    (referencing race tires or no, i made mess of quoting)

Ohh ya there corners iv lost the front or rear and caught it. If that was road tire id be on my ass
    I know mines a Gen 3 but as far as tyres go, I couldn't agree more - I've done a few road-bike-only days were at that time you couldn't use slicks / warmers so rode on S22's and while ok, the feel / grip especially from the front was very different and I felt I had very little in reserve.

I think theres less feel or less forgiveness as you push more.

1 YEAR PREMIER MEMBER bananaman's Avatar
    Riding
    Gen4 msport

Quote Originally Posted by Corkgsxr View Post
    I think theres less feel or less forgiveness as you push more.
    Maybe more feel but definitely less forgiveness
    Speed doesnt kill, its how fast you stop.......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bananaman For This Useful Post:

For those mentioning suspension set up, I've got a gen 3 and done 1 year of track riding now but not had anyone look/set up suspension. Given it's electronic, do people recommend getting it 'set up', and if so by who?
    I know you can get a front potentiometer which makes it the set up easier/more precise, BUT is it worth having someone look at it and set up without this (ie. just the standard out of the box gen 3)?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gen 4 Track Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Northernsoul65 View Post
    For those mentioning suspension set up, I've got a gen 3 and done 1 year of track riding now but not had anyone look/set up suspension. Given it's electronic, do people recommend getting it 'set up', and if so by who?
    I know you can get a front potentiometer which makes it the set up easier/more precise, BUT is it worth having someone look at it and set up without this (ie. just the standard out of the box gen 3)?
    Thanks
    Regardless of whether it has electronic DDC suspension or not you still need to set the bike up especially for track use. Any competent suspension tuner will be able to help you and there are always companies within the trackday paddock that can assist you (100% Suspension, Race Lab) on the day. As for the front potentiometer that simply splits the compression and rebound stages of the suspension giving a greater range of adjustment at the front end. The rear already has an OEM one. That said if you have never adjusted front and rear preload (still manual adjustment on DDC bikes) it's probably not worth investing in one (£400+) until you have at least set that and then experimented with the different levels of electronic damping which vary between riding modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernsoul65 View Post
    Thanks

How heavy are you?

Have you changed the geometry at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobert View Post
    How heavy are you?

Have you changed the geometry at all?
    13st 6.
    I haven't changed anything on the bike in terms of suspension or geometry

Re: Gen 4 Track Advice

Quote Originally Posted by RyS1000RR View Post
    Regardless of whether it has electronic DDC suspension or not you still need to set the bike up especially for track use. Any competent suspension tuner will be able to help you and there are always companies within the trackday paddock that can assist you (100% Suspension, Race Lab) on the day. As for the front potentiometer that simply splits the compression and rebound stages of the suspension giving a greater range of adjustment at the front end. The rear already has an OEM one. That said if you have never adjusted front and rear preload (still manual adjustment on DDC bikes) it's probably not worth investing in one (£400+) until you have at least set that and then experimented with the different levels of electronic damping which vary between riding modes.
    Nice one, thanks. That's helpful.
    So first thing you'd advise is get a suspension review now (with bike having standard kit), then maybe look at front pot later?