Gen 4 track advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Track days on a big modern 4 stroke. Decent set of tyres, tyre gauge and pack your talent. Jerry can full of E5 as circuit fuel can be a bit pricey/stale. Proper food/water and a chair
Once you are outriding the standard bike, your sticky tyres and can outride the electronics, you can move on to improving the bike and probably get a contract riding in BSB.
My R1 & HP4 I don't even take the mirrors, indicators or number plate off. Makes for good Gppro mounting points.

But does it matter?...........I've seen guys on ?50k plus bikes riding in novice and inters - each to their own imho. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do track days and sometimes people change things to make a bike nicer / easier / safer to ride rather than purely to go faster.

But does it matter?...........I've seen guys on ?50k plus bikes riding in novice and inters - each to their own imho. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do track days and sometimes people change things to make a bike nicer / easier / safer to ride rather than purely to go faster.

I'd rather a bunch of high spec bikes in novice which aren't breaking down, than mr. shit hot in fast with his rusty nail leaking fluid all round the lap. I run top inter/bottom fast. I know my bike is capable of more. Do I use slicks to the max? Do I f***. But maybe on one corner I do, and maybe they save my ass on that corner...

Gen 4 Track Advice

I'd rather a bunch of high spec bikes in novice which aren't breaking down, than mr. shit hot in fast with his rusty nail leaking fluid all round the lap.

+1.

I'd rather a bunch of high spec bikes in novice which aren't breaking down, than mr. shit hot in fast with his rusty nail leaking fluid all round the lap. I run top inter/bottom fast. I know my bike is capable of more. Do I use slicks to the max? Do I f***. But maybe on one corner I do, and maybe they save my ass on that corner...

Exactly - tyres are a very good example of where it always nice to have more than you need.

i would put engine crash protection on, carbon frame covers , radiator guard, brake fluid change , maybe brake pads, and spend the rest on track time and tuition.
yes it does look nice to have a tricked up bike but you already have a tricked up bike good enough for any of us mere mortals. jmho
Mut

She fits comfortably. Now to sort out the wheel chock. Still got to insulate the van and fit carpet to the ply line when that arrives. Then it's a case of putting some storage in there and also shelves and hooks for everything. Plenty of room though. I'm more than happy
2b3f1e9dd29d38d3ce2c16af102dae2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

I've gone for the constands one. Got a bike ramp off them as well. I borrowed a ramp today to load my bike as wasn't sure if the thinner ramps would be OK for my van as I need to go on an angle at rhe top. The one I used was narrow at 23cm and the one I've bought now is 30cm so should be ideal. Made up with the fit though and once I have the chock in the corner the bike will sit there nicely. I'll get some ratchet straps around it still as well

She fits comfortably. Now to sort out the wheel chock. Still got to insulate the van and fit carpet to the ply line when that arrives. Then it's a case of putting some storage in there and also shelves and hooks for everything. Plenty of room though. I'm more than happy
2b3f1e9dd29d38d3ce2c16af102dae2a.jpg

Nice fit! Is your Transit a LWB? Can you remove the bulkhead? I am in the market for a new van but a Kombi/Double cab and auto. And I am really reluctant to pay VW Transporter tax :)

Yes lwb crew. And yes the bulkhead can be removed. It's in two parts as well so top and bottom. Made up with it though. Ticks all the boxes and more

(referencing race tires or no, i made mess of quoting)

Ohh ya there corners iv lost the front or rear and caught it. If that was road tire id be on my ass

Last edited:
(referencing race tires or no, i made mess of quoting)

Ohh ya there corners iv lost the front or rear and caught it. If that was road tire id be on my ass

I know mines a Gen 3 but as far as tyres go, I couldn't agree more - I've done a few road-bike-only days were at that time you couldn't use slicks / warmers so rode on S22's and while ok, the feel / grip especially from the front was very different and I felt I had very little in reserve.

For those mentioning suspension set up, I've got a gen 3 and done 1 year of track riding now but not had anyone look/set up suspension. Given it's electronic, do people recommend getting it 'set up', and if so by who?
I know you can get a front potentiometer which makes it the set up easier/more precise, BUT is it worth having someone look at it and set up without this (ie. just the standard out of the box gen 3)?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gen 4 Track Advice

For those mentioning suspension set up, I've got a gen 3 and done 1 year of track riding now but not had anyone look/set up suspension. Given it's electronic, do people recommend getting it 'set up', and if so by who?
I know you can get a front potentiometer which makes it the set up easier/more precise, BUT is it worth having someone look at it and set up without this (ie. just the standard out of the box gen 3)?
Thanks

Regardless of whether it has electronic DDC suspension or not you still need to set the bike up especially for track use. Any competent suspension tuner will be able to help you and there are always companies within the trackday paddock that can assist you (100% Suspension, Race Lab) on the day. As for the front potentiometer that simply splits the compression and rebound stages of the suspension giving a greater range of adjustment at the front end. The rear already has an OEM one. That said if you have never adjusted front and rear preload (still manual adjustment on DDC bikes) it's probably not worth investing in one (?400+) until you have at least set that and then experimented with the different levels of electronic damping which vary between riding modes.

Thanks

How heavy are you?

Have you changed the geometry at all?

Re: Gen 4 Track Advice

Regardless of whether it has electronic DDC suspension or not you still need to set the bike up especially for track use. Any competent suspension tuner will be able to help you and there are always companies within the trackday paddock that can assist you (100% Suspension, Race Lab) on the day. As for the front potentiometer that simply splits the compression and rebound stages of the suspension giving a greater range of adjustment at the front end. The rear already has an OEM one. That said if you have never adjusted front and rear preload (still manual adjustment on DDC bikes) it's probably not worth investing in one (?400+) until you have at least set that and then experimented with the different levels of electronic damping which vary between riding modes.
Nice one, thanks. That's helpful.
So first thing you'd advise is get a suspension review now (with bike having standard kit), then maybe look at front pot later?

Back