Gen 3 noise/tappety?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toiletduck

Reaction score
My Gen3 has always made a bit of a tappy noise, is it the lifters or is it the valve in the exhaust people talk about?

It gets the right fuel economy, accelerates in the right amount of time and an ex-BMW tech who does my bike servicing said it's a nice bike so I'm not too concerned something's wrong, just whether there's a way to make it sound less... rattly...

Don't listen to it. Put some music on instead

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
if you push a screwdriver against the exhaust valve at top of headers dose it stop it. very common problem. also try ear plugs...works a treat. :) as said gen 4 is awful. :)

Last edited:
Yes. You cant hear a thing. Throws fireballs. Would recommend

Mega thank you.

Anyone know how big the box is for headers? I know they come in pieces, just wondering if I could fit it in a suitcase (I go to the continent quite a bit and looks like you can save a chunk out there)

The whole system breaks down into bits, depends how big your suitcase is.. it'll look like this when disassembled
9a3d33ffd7a2010c24b77d2b154a9e8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

The whole system breaks down into bits, depends how big your suitcase is.. it'll look like this when disassembled

Thanks mate, one last question and then I promise I'll buy one.

Do the Akra headers (stainless, not Ti) fit the standard rear can?

So what exactly are your intentions.. you mention headers, what about the link pipe assembly.. are you doing headers and decatting the bike ? Which I presume you are.... If so...

1. Why not fit a full system ?
2. What are you doing for a link pipe.. Assuming your changing that too for an Akro.. you require the I.D of the link pipe and the O.D of the OE can.. I can provide the latter if needed.
3. If (2) applies you'll need two M18 to M12 reducers for the rear lamdas and a servo buddy to suppress the inevitable fault code. The reducers "might" come with the link pipe, mine never.. had to purchase separately...

A bit more info would help you get to the answer quicker..

Last edited:
So what exactly are your intentions.. you mention headers, what about the link pipe assembly.. are you doing headers and decatting the bike ? Which I presume you are.... If so...

1. Why not fit a full system ?
2. What are you doing for a link pipe.. Assuming your changing that too for an Akro.. you require the I.D of the link pipe and the O.D of the OE can.. I can provide the latter if needed.
3. If (2) applies you'll need two M18 to M12 reducers for the rear lamdas and a servo buddy to suppress the inevitable fault code. The reducers "might" come with the link pipe, mine never.. had to purchase separately...

A bit more info would help you get to the answer quicker..

Thanks for the reply chap!

1/ Partly money, partly I like the stock look of the bike
2/ If I buy the ?900 stainless headers will that not simply fit in lieu of the stock headers?
3/ Copy that thank you..

So I need to buy the full system is basically the answer? Is there much saving getting the SS version over Ti ?? (this is where I start considering getting the Ti in Italy as it looks like you can get it for around ?1400)

No bother just trying to figure out what it is your trying to achieve...assuming the bike is original this is what is fitted.. have you whipped off the plastics and had a look at the job to see what's involved ? I'm guessing no to that ..what you want to do is nigh on impossible and provides no gain that I can envisage.

The headers and Cat are all one unit..most people replace the system for weight advantage, looks, performance and sound.

A decent system will be around 50% in reduced weight which you quickly figure out when you drop the OE system off..it weighs a ton... we'll 11.5kgs.. In addition Ti "Blues" up beautifully, Stainless turns to shit in jig time..

I opted for a Vandemon because I could get it in a matter of days and I'm an impatient fucker...Akro's were out of stock everywhere..doubt its any better now but I haven't looked.

I bought mine in July..was delivered to my door from Australia in 3 days..there's a post on here with my install pics.

NB: 1400 plus taxes..I doubt the Eyties will help with marking down the value of the contents.

My Gen4 headers and Cat which is sitting in my van are shown too..pretty sure you'll get the picture now [emoji6]

a2c48c7bd266e01db748bd7b3d6ba306.jpg

b36487e4222b035d470d58aab9e34c29.jpg
906abf9a285903b010763520dd1e4363.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly will mate, you can click and ask, the page isn't loading at present tho, the ad does state (It will upgrade to a full system when used with the Akrapovic slip-on exhaust)..

So it's headers and decat then, makes more sense now..id still buy a full Ti system for reasons given

The price is forgotten long after quality is remembered...

why blow nearly a grand on stainless..those headers WILL discolor and lose their sheen...

Last edited:
Possibly will mate, you can click and ask, the page isn't loading at present tho, the ad does state (It will upgrade to a full system when used with the Akrapovic slip-on exhaust)..

So it's headers and decat then, makes more sense now..id still buy a full Ti system for reasons given

The price is forgotten long after quality is remembered...

why blow nearly a grand on stainless..those headers WILL discolor and lose their sheen...

Think as above really, you can't see much of the manifold to show off the blue anyway, and Akra say you don't need a power commander for the SS version (for some reason??). Plus if I could buy that manifold and have it link to the standard backbox I'd be happy with that (vs spending ?2k for the full Ti system, whether Akra/Arrow/Vandemon)

Btw I visit Italy a bit so buying over there I'd just smuggle it back in a suitcase, but still need to get a powercommander or bazza from somewhere.

I tryed. About1000/1500 miles without a power commander.

You lose ton of midrange. It will seem like it runs fine but your definitely leaving alot on the table

I tryed. About1000/1500 miles without a power commander.

You lose ton of midrange. It will seem like it runs fine but your definitely leaving alot on the table

Was that with SS ? (I still don't see how it makes a difference personally!!)

Back