Gen 3 Aux port Voltage / Amps?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope you're all well, safe and still enjoying your S1k's despite the rather 5h!tty weather we're heading into.

Since buying my new phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra) I am facing 'Slow Charging' issues <- exactly what my phone says when I plug it in. As a result, when I am riding with any type of Navigation app running, the phone battery is being drained quite rapidly despite being plugged into the USB charger.

Currently I have this USB charger, which plugs directly into the aux port under the left hand fairing

Battery connection harness to female USB socket
https://www.nippynormans.com/gps-accessories/battery-connection-harness-to-female-usb-socket

The above only charges 5V at 2.4amps therefore I believe i need to man up the amperage in order to charge my phone up adequately. With this in mind, I have brought another charger which charges 5V at 3.1 amps (highest I could find online) however I don't really want to permanently connect it directly to the battery or tap into any of the bike's wiring loom.

So the question is, does anyone know if the Aux port (that I am currently using) provides the right amount of current to start with if I was to connect my new charger to that? I don't want to connect a faster charger to a source feed which is not like for like as connecting it directly to the battery...will probably defeat the whole objective.

If the answer is YES then i was thinking of getting one of these to sort the issue out
https://www.nippynormans.com/gps-ac...any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness

This way I will not have to tap into any wires or connect directly to the battery.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BR - Sunny

I looked into this on a Gen 2 a while back. I think the max current on the canbus port (aux) is quite limited about 1 Amp or so.
If you have a separate charger you would be better wiring directly to the battery (with an isolator switch so you don't drain battery when parked up)

Last edited:
I looked into this on a Gen 2 a while back. I think the max current on the canbus port (aux) is quite limited about 1 Amp or so.
If you have a separate charger you would be better wiring directly to the battery (with an isolator switch so you don't drain battery when parked up)

Nice one fella, I think this totally makes the most sense also. i've brought a new charger which is 3.1 amps, it doesnt have an isolator switch however does have a SAE connector which I suppose I could use in place.

Thanks for the reply mate.

BR - Sunny

Back