Battery issues

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabbytot10@

Reaction score
This is the first new bike i have been able to afford and feel a bit disappointed , only done 400mile and great to ride but a couple of weeks ago the battery went flat and the bike was recovered to a dealer and they charged the battery up and said they have had a lot of problems with the m sport with the trackers and alarms fitted and i should spend another ?80 on top of a 20k bike and buy a lithium float charger which I have done . 4 days ago I moved the bike but did not plug the charger back in and yesterday got a call from the tracker company with a battery alert and Ariel last night I plugged the charger back in happy days I thought got a call again today from Datatool with a battery low , got my daughter send me a photo of the charger and it has come up red error on the battery , got her to un plug the charger and start again to see if it will recover . Should I go back to bmw and say it needs a new battery ? Help

Thats what I have done , Datatool have said the tracker needs replacing as it is sending data every 20 seconds

You could try changing for a non-lithium standard AGM battery. The lithium batteries tend to have about half the charge capacity (Ah) compared to the lead-acid AGM alternative. Unless you are using it on track I wouldn't worry abot the extra weight of a lead-acid battery.

If this is a new bike, I would suggest that dealer supplies you with a new lead-acid AGM battery free of charge.

Last edited:
My bike has done 0 miles and the battery depleted after about a month. I had to get BMW emergency services to bring the battery back to life and it's been a trickle charger ever since with with no problems .. so far anyway.
My R has a lead battery and it's been stuck at the dealer for 6-weeks because I can't ride at the moment and the battery failed on Wednesday, which sounds about right

It does make you wonder if they should supplier a charger from new and tell you your need to plug it in , which is fine as long as you have access to electric where it is stored , maybe they should sell these as plug in ( but not Hybrid ) . I have a 2004 gs1200 which had a split alternator case in the south of france and would charge and then stop charging , this made it all the way back to the uk at some points the alternator was off for 20min at a time . does not seem link we have come very far

Just had to change my battery after 4 years, bike been on a trickle charge from new after a initial issue of draining due to the tracker running it flat. Would not have a lithium one though

14v at tickover means the generator is working well. The battery will drop during cranking.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back